*~*~attention All Distributor Ran Merc Owners~*~*

tracterman2

Cadet
I am working with a man that rebuilds old distributors and converte them to an HEI type ignition. This intriged me in that it would do away with our expensive trigger, switchbox, and possibly the coil. It would also look much cleaner under the hood. This is what I need, I can do it myself but I know these pictures are out there and just have to find them. I need good pictures of the distributor, with and without cap, inside cap, on and off engine, and if someone knows, who built the distributor on our engines. He has converted things all the way back to the 20's. From what i've researched and seen on our distributors this won't be tough for him and replacement parts will be MUCH cheaper. If anyone can help me with the pictures I would greatly appreciate it. I have a 1970 1150 and LOVE the engine...its one that I was told to do a float test on and had great compression so rewired it and works great...I believe these are great motors...guess thats why mercurcy built them for so long huh?? I just cringe when I think about replacing the trigger or switchbox one day. Thanks for your help and hopefully we can get something done, I will keep everyone updated with the progress...also if someone had a donor distributor they wouldn't mind parting with that would be great...I only have the one on my motor and if I can't find one I'll just get one off ebay...it doesn't have to be in working condition...just a decent distributor...trigger can be gone and what have you as he will be going into it and replacing all the innards and the bushings...just a good structurally sound distributor with a good cap on it. Thanks again!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: *~*~attention All Distributor Ran Merc Owners~*~*

Since you already have a distributor, why not take pictures of yours??

Laddies

Banned

tractorman, did you know that HEI ignition don't put out nearly as high of voltage as CD ignition. The 1966 distributers had points and would probably be the easiest to convert but Mercury went to a differant style in about 1970 till the system was changed to ADI ignition

tracterman2

Cadet

I could take pictures of mine but I thought if they already existed on someones computer maybe they could post them and I could just copy and paste or maybe get them in an email. Really didn't want to take my cap and all off if I could get pictures that were already there. You are probably right about the voltage but the HEI can be upgraded to a very high voltage with only a few modifications. This was just a thought, figured what the hay, if it worked well and was more servicable and easier maintained, not to mention way cheaper, it might be an alternative to replacing expensive triggers and switchboxes and maybe even save a few of these old girls when people don't want to mess with them when the electronics go bad. Thanks for the replys though.