attaching steering cable to motor.. bend radius too tight

Milemaker13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey gang! I am mounting a steering system to my little 14' alum V-hull. My old motor has no tilt tube (havn't seen that set up yet, not even sure what it looks like) so I will be using a transom mount bracket to hold the cable end, but there is not enough room to get the proper 8" bend radius.

If I could get a few more inches that would be great.

So, my question is about mounting the steering post (where the cable end clevis attaches) off center. Obviously, it is supposed to be centered on the outboard motor. But what would happen if I made my bracket so it moved the post a few inches off center?

How will that affect my steering? Any advice?

Also, would it be possible to fabricate a tilt tube type set up for this older motor? I kinda get the idea that would move the cable over several inches...

Making any sense to you guys?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Mount the transom bracket where ever it needs to be on the transom to make the radius bend for the cable. Instead of the cable Pushing the motor you're gunna rig the arm so it will pull the the motor. Kinda like this but hopefully a bit cleaner...
5515hp-1.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmmm He said he was using one of those.... "so I will be using a transom mount bracket to hold the cable end, "

Milemaker13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok yeah, that is kind of what I'm thinking. I saw something online where the guy made a new tilt tube... kinda similar to yours. This is great news. I will head over to the "drawing board" asap!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Mount the transom bracket where ever it needs to be on the transom to make the radius bend for the cable. Instead of the cable Pushing the motor you're gunna rig the arm so it will pull the the motor. Kinda like this but hopefully a bit cleaner...
5515hp-1.jpg

SEE. You were able find tashasdaddy old picture faster than I was able to refind that link. But at least he now has a good idea.