attaching floor to stringers .

bigbad4cyl

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok help me out please . im about to attach my floor to the top of my stringers and tab to hull . should i use some epoxy with some filler like 404. or use some 3m 5200 on top of the stringers .

lingcod

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: attaching floor to stringers .

epoxy with a filler (cabosil, chopped strand etc.).

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As mentioned above, add a filler to epoxy to make a thick putty and apply it to the tops of the stringers and any other surfaces that the sole will rest on. <br /><br />Then glass the sole to the hull sides or liner with unthickened epoxy after you have layed down a fillet (epoxy + filler). <br /><br />The West System website has some good how-to info located on their "project" tab:<br /><br /> http://www.westsystem.com/frames/tier1/usesforepoxy.htm

BillP

Captain

Thickened epoxy on top of the stringer, then screw down the floor to make sure it clamps right. Do deep countersinks for the screws and fill later with epoxy. If you don't want to use screws, old batteries work good for dead weight. I do it both ways and get good results.<br /><br />On the otherhand, I'm sure 5200 works but it will eventually get brittle as years go by. I found that happend on a boat I used it on 15 yrs previously when rebuilding later. It made me think constant pounding might crack it on a stinger to floor joint at old age. That's why I use epoxy.

bigbad4cyl

Petty Officer 1st Class

thank you for the responces . ive done my whole project in west system epoxy and marine grade plywood . and its getting quite costly 1200$ worth of glue in a boat is mind jarring . i was reading some other posts and thaught i could save some money with the 5200. but i guess ill do it right and buy a couple more gallons of epoxy.

ed/il

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I used the 5200. So far so good

bassmani

Seaman Apprentice

i actually have a question on the same subject.<br />I have removed the old floor, glass, etc and put in new glass, stringers, etc. I am in the process in installing the new floor, but the old floor had long staples securing the floor to the stringer. this may have also been done as the floor dips (stringers are not level as water needs to drain). If i do not user expoxy for the floor, can i use the staples or stainless steel wood screws?<br />thx

crab bait

Captain

pretty much no.. ya need glue bonding of the stringers to floor.. <br /><br />it gets it's strenght from every sq.inch bein' bonded.. not just screws ( or staples) every few inches.. the screws are just to get the floor tite for glue cure..