at lake motor want run HELP

Becauseican

Seaman
i have a 1985 johnson 40 horse that ran great two weeks ago. i put sea foam in the tank three weeks ago and now motor will not stay running. it starts up and dies after about 5 seconds. could the sea foam be the problem? if not what could it be?

emoney

Commander
Re: at lake motor want run HELP

Not enough information to be accurate as to if the Seafoam is causing an issue. So, having said that, it's best to start at the very top. Compression Test/Spark Test/Fuel System check. Most older carbs need maintenance and occassional rebuilds which are simple to do. Also, concerning the fuel system; a lot of the older outboard fuel lines where not build with Ethanol in mind, so they are deteriorating and causing issues. Might be a good time to check the fuel line all the way from the carbs out to the tank itself.

Why did you decide to do the Seafoam, or was it something you consider normal routine?

Becauseican

Seaman

i put new kits in recently all fuel lines are good. i put sea foam in beacause i was still having problem getting motor to run right which turned out to b a missing gasket in carb. after correcting the carb issues three weeks ago i ran the boat a little and it ran fine. this is the first time i took it out since i ran it two weeks ago. im still using the same tank of gas that had the sea foam in it. had good compression two weeks ago when i took it out. yesterday when i launched the boat and it wouldnt run right i noticed when i tilted the motor up gas was coming out of the carb. so i took the carb apart and noticed one of the needle valves wasnt working correctly so i removed the little wire that attaches the needle valve to the float and valve appeared to be working fine. now when i raise motor up gas is no longer coming outa the carb but will only run for 5 seconds and dies.

reddogg

Petty Officer 1st Class

Umm, you did put the little wire back on the needle valve right? It's kinda required.

red

fireman57

Captain

Try pumping your primer bulb when this happens. If it keeps running your fuel pump is bad. If it still dies we will look elsewhere

Becauseican

Seaman

ok..i'm home now..couldnt get boat to run the whole time camping..grrr..fixed the stuck needle..changed plugs..can open drain on carb andits full of gas..i can start and it will run for about 5 seconds and die..i can raise the throttle lever on control box and it will keep runing but rough..as soon as i push it down it dies..i can turn over andover and nothing...i pull plugs out and clean them off and it will start up and run another 5 secs..samething over and over..is it flooding or starving for gas? its a 1985 40 hp johnson model # j40elcob

jjzepplin

Seaman

I always test my boat before getting to the ramp. Just don't like bein stuck at the dock. I always have some carb cleaner around to spray in the carb to test for pump problems or gasket leakage. Do this while it's running( just a couple squirts, not enough to start a forest fire). I once messed with my fuel system for a whole season before i figured out it was the stator. That was a merc though. Did you set the floats to spec? If you suspect the fuel try running off new fuel from a friend tank (portable style) before you drain the system.

Becauseican

Seaman

I got fresh gas while was at the lake..i turn the carbs overand make sure they are even. i did bend 1 just a little while was at the lake to make it straight..could the float being off as mush as a 1/8 make it act like this?

AlTn

Commander

if that is 1/8"...that's a lot in float level terms...if it's that much higher on the nonhinged end with the carb body inverted = higher fuel level in the float bowl...if it's that much lower on the nonhinged end = lower fuel level in the bowl...you mention buying gas at the lake, could it have been bad?

hidef

Lieutenant

You said it will run with the fast idle lever advanced? Did you do a link and sync after putting the carbs back on? Also did you pull all of the welch plugs off of the carbs when you cleaned them and did you let them soak?

Becauseican

Seaman

well i just used 1/8 as an example meaning i didnt move it much at all. but i did move it upward meaning more gas can get in bowl..i got new gas at lake hoping the gas i had was bad. both tanks was the same. to adjust the floats i should hold the carb upside down and when needle is all the way in float should be level across correct? should i bend float down a little not letting as much gas in the bowl maybe?

fireman57

Captain

You say it will run poorly for a while with the lever advanced giving it fuel but you never tried pumping your primer bulb to rule out your fuel pump. Why not try the easy two minute things to eliminate a possible source of the problem.

AlTn

Commander

carb inverted...the weight of the float will hold the needle down, if not, you've got a problem with the needle and seat...yes, the float should be parallel with the carb body, both from the side and while viewing it from the front < the float shouldn't be "cocked">

Becauseican

Seaman

ok..i bent the floats down a little and the motor runs better now for a bit then its starts smoking alot and starts running rough and dies..when its running good at first it smokes as it normaly should then the smoke starts pouring out..i did do the bulb test and it was fine..i'm not a mechanic by no means..i have never heard of a welch plug in carbs..so no i didnt soak them.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Its the plug up on top. Needs to be removed and carb/s soaked overnight in carb cleaner. Item # 5 is the core plug! Good luck

Attachments

• 40 hp carb 85.jpg
    40 hp carb 85.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 0

Becauseican

Seaman

But it was running fine 3 weeks ago..you think i need to soak it to fix the problem i'm having? when i remove the plug will i be able to replace it or need to get a kit?

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Get OEM kit and drill core plug out. 3/16" drill bit works well. CAUTION: Just drill enough to get through core plug and remove with small punch or stiff pick. Garbage does get behind those plugs, and if not removed and allowed to soak, Carb/s will not work right. Good luck and post back results.

Becauseican

Seaman

ok..i will do that..let me ask something tho..in the bottom of carb there is a long tube coming down with another small tube inside it that goes down into the bowl. i can not get those out..is there a gasket in there that might get damaged from soaking over night? i know i can remove the 1 on the float neddle valve and the other 1 that goes over the long tube i was describing earlier.

jjzepplin

Seaman

Not familiar with this engine but is it oil injected? Lots of smoke sounds like oil.....

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you look at it, does it look like it has away that a flat screwdriver could remove it? If so it can be removed. If not, leave it alone. Good luck