Astro Boat

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Does anyone have any history, or know is astro boats were well made or garbage?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Astro Boat

I would consider Astro an Entry-Level boat. Or a Value-Concious brand. Nobody makes "Junk" boats. ;)

They are Lightweight as opposed to Heavy Duty. How's that? ;)

Seriously, nobody makes junk boats. That would be litagical suicide. (Is "litagical" a word?) Okay, they'd be sued out of existence. :)

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

entry level boat??? The astro I have is far superior to most boats i have seen on KY,Lake! With ocean going boats on the lake,19ft boats are the smallest you can get away with! Mine"19.5 will run in chop at 55mph and give a good ride. when there are "NO SHIPS!" on water,I can plane up to 65 to 70 mph with No hydros on lower end and NO jack plate. My older ranger could only wish it could.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

entry level boat??? The astro I have is far superior to most boats i have seen on KY,Lake! With ocean going boats on the lake,19ft boats are the smallest you can get away with! Mine"19.5 will run in chop at 55mph and give a good ride. when there are "NO SHIPS!" on water,I can plane up to 65 to 70 mph with No hydros on lower end and NO jack plate. My older ranger could only wish it could.

Was that astro made by fountain?

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do not know. Why do you ask? Keyboard is giving problems tonight,don't know why.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

you should really consider some off shore racing with that astro!:rolleyes:

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

OFF SHORE!!! LOL!! Put boat in river at riverfront to winterize. Ran some HOT laps,at 65mph,acording to speedo, with me at 170,lbs and buddy at 220lbs and still had some trim left. NO! hydros on lower end AND! NO jackplate. MEANEST BOAT I HAVE EVER OWNED!!!

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

I own a '91 Astro 17' fiberglass bass boat. Entry level? Not in my opinion. An aluminum Bass Tracker would be the entry level. My Astro is like the Nitro series that Tracker makes today.

Seems to be a solid performer to me. Well made and it's stood the test of time/use.

Edit- BTW, it's been up to 55mph w/135hp outboard and it wasn't fully opened up.

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class
slasmith1

slasmith1

IF, that is your boat, you have NO! idea what a smaller sleek boat will do!

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

yes that boat has 560 hp and will go maybe 45-47 mph at 4600rpm

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

acording to a side by side with a donzi. I rode 65 mph and had some trim left and through a roostertail !! SO!! anytime you want to run for "****s and giggles" we can do that

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am happy with astro boat and would buy again. The beam is large and power is great. I was in 3 to 4 foot waves and still pushed 25 mph. Meanest boat I have ever owned!!

luvmystratos

Recruit

The Astro Boat was a Second for the Pro Craft Boats made by Gen Mar. It is similiar to the same situation with Stratos Boats and the Javeline being the Second. They don't make Pro Craft or Astro Boats any longer.