Assisted in a bad boating accident

shorts&chanclas

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just wanted to share a sobering moment we had yesterday. My two buddies and I came across a 20-21 ft. runabout sitting real low in the water and grossly overloaded with people. Maybe 12 -15. of which 5 were kids (W/O jackets) and the rest were rather portly. It was so low the swim platform was covered ankle deep to the transom. None of us like the sitaution so we pulled aside and asked if they needed assistance.

Turns out a female passenger managed to fall out and was struck by the prop on her upper right arm and across her shoulder blade. I thought they wrapped it with a brown towel but my friend said it was originally white. We provided what assistance we could by insisting on a tourniquet to stop the bleeding using swim trunk strings. She was in early stages of shock about to pass out. There was no room to lay her down and by this time they were about 100 yards from the ramp. The shoulder wounds were mainly abrasions so there was not any bleeding in that area.

We followed them into shore and stood by. paramedics were not there despite them saying they had called it in. The fire station is about 4 miles from where we were so i fully expected to see Rescue. We had the sinking feeling that the driver was putting his well being before the life of his passenger. IMO there was a high chance of him being BWI and breaking all sorts of other laws.

All the pieces of a disaster were there. Kids under 12 w/o jackets, overloaded equipment, alcohol, lack of preparation/knowledge.

Marcq

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Assisted in a bad boating accident

Man, I hope I will never experience something like this :(

Marc..

beauff

Seaman Apprentice

I think if there was no flasing red lights on shore then I would have made the call myself.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I join beauff and would have aclled 911 to verify that they had been called. Give that a thought if you run into anything remotely like it down the road. You never know when such a call may save a life - also the idiot who was responsibe for operating such a potential disaster needs to be reigned in a couple of notches or he will do a repeat performance.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would have called to make sure she received proper treatment right away. That is what 911 and paramedics are all about. As an aside, hopefully the "captain" would have received a citation and get some safe boating education.

stacyt

Cadet

Were you at Medina or Canyon Lake?

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer

man, i just read the story & got that terrible feeling in my gut... sure hope that gal is OK. yeah, i would of definitly called the medics & the police. we simply don't need anymore irresponsible boaters taking risks, especially w/ helpless kids!!! thanks for the post...a good reminder!

shorts&chanclas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

At the time since they said they had called rescue i took that at face value and tried to assess what to do next. I was seriously concerned with that boat swamping and concentrated on keeping my vessel in position to assist and stand by. We were not sure if the boat was damaged or taking on water.

It was afterwards in second guessing ourselves on what we could have done better that we started thinking about the captain doing a "CMA". After that I did report to TX Parks & Wildlife Dept.

I hope this helps other boaters to prepare for a situation like this. We were not mentally prepared for something like this and did the best we could.

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think if there was no flasing red lights on shore then I would have made the call myself.

I second that ! Its people like that, that give boaters a bad wrap.

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You did great, many other boaters saw and did nothing, and it takes practice to cover all the what ifs in a emergency.

cbavier

Lieutenant

You did great, many other boaters saw and did nothing, and it takes practice to cover all the what ifs in a emergency.

I second this. In an emergency always the injured person is top priority as well as the safety of everyone else aboard. YOU DID GREAT!!! NO SECOND GUESSING YOURSELF! PERIOD!

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

Cool headed work. "We learn as we serve" was the tale of my fire instructor.

Each opportunity gives a chance to improve.

Ya dun good!!

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

I watched the news last night and saw almost the identical story at my primary lake (Lake Pleasant, AZ). I put the link to the story below. The accident happened near Humbug Cove on the lake. Humbug Cove has the reputation for being the party cove, and I think the boats float on alcohol instead of water there. It is scary how similar these stories are, but they are separate incidents happening over a thousand miles away. I guess there are no borders for idiots.

http://www.examiner.com/a-1363269~Woman_struck_by_propeller_at_Lake_Pleasant.html

I am an EMT and worked for 2 ambulance companies. ALWAYS call 911 even unless you are 100 percent sure someone already did. Worst case scenario, dispatch gets 2 identical calls and tells you someone already called.

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer

As a retired USCG, you did good. Someone else said it; other boaters did nothing. You followed the tradition of the sea in which you always offer assistance to someone in distress. Many people think, Oh what if I help and do something wrong, I could get sued! No you can't. The law is very clear that if you made a good faith attempt to help they can not sue you.

I echo what the EMT said. Always make the call. If someone else called, well all they are going to say is they already have someone on the way. Plus, if you have marine VHF, and make the call on the radio, the local water cops monitor that.

You deserve a pat on the back and the boat operator deserves a kick in the *** for endangering his passengers!

Geo2008

Banned

As a retired USCG, you did good. Someone else said it; other boaters did nothing. You followed the tradition of the sea in which you always offer assistance to someone in distress. Many people think, Oh what if I help and do something wrong, I could get sued! No you can't. The law is very clear that if you made a good faith attempt to help they can not sue you.

I echo what the EMT said. Always make the call. If someone else called, well all they are going to say is they already have someone on the way. Plus, if you have marine VHF, and make the call on the radio, the local water cops monitor that.

You deserve a pat on the back and the boat operator deserves a kick in the *** for endangering his passengers!

Good information to have, thanks. This thread has reminded me to be safe and to try and keep a cool head when some other boat is in distress.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

S&C

You helped a fellw mariner (although an incompetent lying one) in distress. You took him at his word. You took what you thought was the best course of action with the info you had. Hindsight is always 20/20. YOU ARE THE GOOD GUY IN THIS!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

on the other side of the coin............

as a boater....we are often faced with ....i wanna go...!

people on a visit to our area....and we are hosts.....they all wanna come boating........all 30 of em !

we all must be strong and say....."the boat holds 5....no more.....instead....lets go play mini golf"......

as the captains of our boats we are responcible for all the souls on our boats.....

we must stand our ground.....if its not safe....dont go.

thanks for sharing.....thats a good lesson for all of us