As promised in another forum

gonefishie

Commander
Re: As promised in another forum

Well, the two biggest basses, especially the very first one on the table deserved to be alive though.

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer

gonefishie<br /><br /> Just so you will know, even the two biggest shown are only average for this pond and we really have to be concerned with overpopulation as the pond is only about 6 acres. <br /><br /> We do catch and release the big ones. The cutoff weight for keeping/throwing back is 5 lbs. Quite a few over 10 lbs have been caught and released.

gonefishie

Commander

Wow, if I'm ever in your neck of the wood RetNav, can I come over?

RetNav

Sure, just give me a yell.

dakk1

Chief Petty Officer

What a blast ya'll had! Your son will remember days like that when he is an old man. Don't get much better than that..<br /><br />Dave

RetNav

I hadn't thought about it that way dakk1, but you are right as I have some of the same memories of my dad taking us fishing when we were kids. <br /><br />My son isn't like other kids I have taken fishing, most will want to quit real soon, but he keeps wanting to try other places whether we are in a small pond or in the ocean. He also catches his share.

KCLOST

Commander

Man, I'd really love to catch a bunch of bluegills like that! Have me a nice fish fry!<br /><br />I can't remember the last time I even caught a bluegill longer than 4-5" <br />What did you use to catch the gills? Also the bass?

RetNav

KCLOST<br /> We used crickets on brim buster poles for all the bluegills and Berkley Gulp Tequila Sunrise in the 7" turtle back worm/regular Berkley Tequila Sunrise 7" worm for all the bass. We texas rigged the worms and fished slow bumping the bottom. In this pond the bass like the worms better than any other presentation.

rwise

Captain

MMMMMMmmmmmMMMMMM, Well I to fish to eat! Looks like y'all had a blast! :cool:

RetNav

rwise you are right on. We had a blast and the eating was....beyond description.

bamadave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just look at the smile on the boys face.
I sold a fishing pontoon boat to a man this week. When he picked it up, he had his 8 year old boy with him. I told the kid to thank his father for buying it, and he asked why. I told the boy he would remember the memories fishing with his father long after his father was dead. A few minutes later, the father came over with tears in his eyes to thank me for reminding him he was repaying his father for the memories of fishing with him. Worth going to work that day.

ztim

Chief Petty Officer

Great catch guys! Not only are you having a super time, you are also passing on a legacy to the young man. I am sure he will be a sportsman for the rest of his life.

FLATHEAD

Commander

In defense of Skeeter boy. I am sure he thought you guys hammered them bass on a public lake. It is true that if every guy out there brings home a sack full of bass like that the fishing will definitely dwindle on that body of water. I have seen fine fisheries go to the dogs because of over harvest. Thankfully catch and release is a common practice around my area anymore. The fishing has never been better,

I got the pictures to prove it 8)

By the way, I hope you let the kid catch those bass. Sort of like shootin fish in a barrel aint it??.8)d:):/

RetNav

FLATHEAD, the boy catches more than his share, of course thats because I have to help him most of the time. The main reason we kept the biggest bass was because the boy caught it.

This pond does have the potential to diminish a persons fishing skills as it seems all of them are real eager to become a meal. Maybe it is just a real good training program.

MRS

Commander

B*Thead were are the photos why don`t you and peterboy stop wineing and just fish and let everybody else a lone I never fish for bass any more because of folks like you. But if I do get one I keep it and eat it you guys think you are going to be the next great bass something good for you but do not tell anybody else what they should or should not do. P.S. Have a great 4 of July.....8) Hookum

FLATHEAD

Commander

MRS You have a lot to learn. No one thinks they are going to be the next great bass pro, and I could give a rats pitute what you do or anyone else for that matter. I'll add that I have not posted here in a very long time becuase of A_holes like you being on this site. Looks like I was wrong in trying to point out what may have been an misunderstanding. Should have known better.

Retnavy sorry dude I should have known better.:/.

Have at it boys it's all yours ,, Im gone!

MRS

Commander

I am glad you are gone hope when you get that 5lber witch will probley be your biggest bass you will let it go?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Easy people. It is starting to go downhill.

heycods

Captain

That is downhill as i see it. I see both sides as I fish both private lakes and public. The overstocking problem is real in the private sector, But one of the area (heavely fished) public lakes is expierencing population drop off. I dont know that overfishing is the problem, Bioliogist havent said so but Texas Parks and Wildlife seems to swing a might to where the recreational bucks mandate.
JMHO, Case in point is the long dove season and early and late shooting, result dwindling dove population.

Ron G

Commander

I think theres alot of passion here ,which is good but alot of folks cant see the forrest because of the trees,these fish were caught in there on private pond which they manage and take care of,it seems to me the pond needs a good culling to let some of the bigger ones get better.and the main thing its there on pond..wear them out and do as you wish.