aristocraft

machfive

Recruit
Hello everyone. I found what I think is a 1968 Aristocraft 8 teen. It has been sitting and is complete. I am not sure if is a 4 cyl or 6 cyl and I have to go back to try and find the ID number. From what Aristocraft told me it could be on the transom or an aluminum plate near the steering or get the engine id. They can help me on that. My question is what is the approximate value if it is an 8 teen? And in decent condition.Pictures are coming. I am having issues getting them to upload. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Attachments

• 20190613_080158.jpg
    20190613_080158.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 3

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard:

In showroom condition, the boat is worth a few thousand dollars. Up to $8k maybe if it's literally like new. Unfortunately, unless you find just the right buyer, old boats - particularly glass - don't really hold much value.

If you're considering a restoration - and these are beautiful boats - it'll cost you far more than you'll ever make back on it. You'll have to do it 'cuz you wanna'

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Probably an L6 165 hp. Neighbor had one in the late '60's. Like older boats, water intrusion is always a consideration...just how much and where. Good clue is boat that has been stored out of the weather. Expect to have to redo the exhaust and drive line boots (between the transom bracket and the outdrive as sitting up they take a "set" and crack open when expanded....a PIA for me doing it alone without any fancy tools. I always liked the sliding top.....could move it out of the way to go forward and hook up the docking lines or when anchoring. Worth? "Value is in the eyes of the beholder." Source unknown.

machfive

Recruit
Im not new to boating. Been boating my whole life. I have had many. I just have never had one this old. Personally I like this boat. Im going back and go through it more. I was pressed for time the day I looked at it. There we're 12 boats in that field. Thete was one with a left hand drive and an olds big block in it. A decent Mark Twain V 18. A pretty decent Tahiti and a small speed boat that caught my eyes. I really liked this one and the one with the olds motor. I am just not sure what to offer.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
A decent Mark Twain V 18. I am just not sure what to offer.

Being the 18' probably their Tri-Hedral hull which amounted to a V monohull with short sponsons......not your conventional Tri-hull with it's rough ride in a lot of cases. Will ride rough water much better than your aristocratic Aristocraft and more stable at rest, better "bow" access for anchoring, docking, riding and all.....things to consider. Very popular around here in the 70's and 80's. Very smooth dry ride in rough water (what was the norm around here), very stable at rest, lots of room for the family and gear; super boats for the family. 165 L6 would push it in the upper 30's, the 5.0 V8 over 40.

Start low. Guy asked me to quote a non running tractor once. He said it had no oil pressure last time it ran. I hoped for the best, got the worst, but sold the loader for half what I paid for the tractor and the deal sweetened up. If he's serious he won't get offended by lowball offers. If he refuses your offer, just walk away........slowly. If he doesn't hit, drive off and have a cup of coffee or something. Come back and inch your offer.....plead with him like.....Look man, I only have so much money. This is an old boat. I don't know what I'm getting into. That sort of thing. What's the gamble is worth to you? The place to stop your bidding. Good luck.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Does the seller have paperwork for the hull and trailers you are considering? Depending on what state you'll be registering in, lack of paperwork will be just the start of a nightmare.

Was the boat with the Olds motor a jet drive? Depending on age and brand of the pump, parts may be hard to get.

The Aristocraft is hard to judge with just a single photo. It looks like she's been sitting in the weeds for years and the trailer may have seen better days.

Take a charged battery when you go back. Try cranking to see if the motor is seized in any of the boats you're interested in.

machfive

Recruit
Great advise and comments. Thanks guys. I will take a battery and test them. I will het mote pics to. I have some but I have to reduce the size in order to post them. The california which is what is painted on the olds motor boat has a plate on the dash, right side that says Jr Presidential. I will find out tje make when I go back. I do not remember the drive. I looked at 12 in about an hour then he had to go to work. It was rushed. Thats why I am scheduling another trip back. I am thinking he does not have paperwork and wants to clear his property. I did not get the hit that he wanted much either. I was thinking about offering him $500.00 for the aristocraft and the california. But the Mark Twain the Tahiti and the outboard speedboat are contenders as well. Mark Twain is sitting under a shed with the Tahiti and under a cover. It is in the best condition for sure. He also has a sailboat that we did not have time to look at. It had sails to. That one interested me to because I live in San Diego county. He is a reasonable guy so we will see.