Are Stringers Structural of the hull?

ghcoe

Cadet
I was wondering if stringers were a structural part of the boat hull or are they just for floor support? I have a 1989 Blue Water Cuddy that I just found a lot of rot in the stringers about mid-ship. I have used the boat and it feels solid. The floor is in good shape except for where there was a step down into the cuddy and it had apparently filled with water at one time and rotted out. Finally decided to to repair the floor there and found that the rod was in the stringers too. Would like to use the boat still, but was concerned that the hull strength would be compromised. Thanks, Ghcoe.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Are Stringers Structural of the hull?

Stringers are a part of the structure of most hulls. They maintain the shape and rigidity of the outer hull.

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

YES. Very important. if rotted out they must be replaced..

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

The hull strength is definitely compromised until the stringers are replaced. It is like having a serious injury to your back muscles and expecting to lift things normally.

You may get away with it for awhile..........

Boatist

Rear Admiral

The stringer is like the frame on your car or truck. If they are not solid your boat is junk.

reelfishin

Captain

You risk hull breakage with rotted stringers, both in heavy seas and if sitting wrong on a trailer. The fact that the hull is completely supported by water makes the problem less noticeable, but I am willing to bet you have movement in that hull while under way. I just sea tested a used boat with a buddy that was down right scary. The floor and stringers were about gone, but the last owner had just laid down plywood to cover the mess. The boat flexed so bad the windshield center section would fall though on diagonal wake crossings.
I couldn't wait to dock and leave that boat.

Nandy

Commander

Some boats dont have stringers, just foam. But they are designed to work that way, you remove the foam and the hull also deform under pressure.

airframer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

would you honestly want to take that chance with your family and friends on the boat?

Nandy

Commander

would you honestly want to take that chance with your family and friends on the boat?

I think not, that is why he is asking the question, to make an informed decision.

ghcoe

Cadet

I think not, that is why he is asking the question, to make an informed decision.

Yeah, just wanted to know. The stringers stop and restart at the gas tank. There is about a 6 inch gap there so I was not sure. I did find solid wood again about 2/3rds down and it has crept up fore and aft about 3 feet on one side. All seems dry now. No damp.

Thanks for the replys, ghcoe