Aquired free boat. Ugly Bravo III and who knows what else...

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Aquired free boat. Ugly Bravo III and who knows what else...

Are you running Winblows 95 / Adobe Acrobat 0.8 or something and a dialup ISP? ;)

I'll assume you are running a current patched Microshaft XP computer. If you don't have all the updates turn on automatic update (control panel etc) before you proceed.

Make sure you have the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2_allversions.html

Once it's all installed,

Click here :---> http://www.boatfix.com/merc/mainmenu.pdf

Click "SERVICE MANUALS"
Click (in Bookmarks) "#11"

When you get to the service manual "Outline", on the left-hand side, as you move your mouse cursor over the text it will change to a "hand" when you get to a "clickable" link. In Adobe Acrobat the link won't always be underlined or highlighted.

If you cannot get that stuff to work, your best bet is to go to a Mercury dealer and buy yourself a Manual 11. (I would want it anyway....the paper copy is easier to use with greasy hands!!)

btw, the drive ratio is usually stamped on the side in the decals with the serial number....your decals probably fell off when the corrosion bubbled up underneath!

Based on the size of your boat and the engine it's probably either a 1.81 or a 2.00. (mine is a 1.81 and it cam out of a 98 454 carb'ed 23' Bayliner Cuddy)

HXB2..., I tried again but I cannot find a way to get the manual to go to any section other than the index! Bummer, that is exactly the info I am trying to get right now. All the special tools and parts that need to be replaced! Maybe I am doing something wrong...

zvolv

Seaman Apprentice

Hxb2..., I got it! Probably while you were writing your post I was downloading the newest adobe. It seems to be working! Thank you very much. Time to do some reading.

Doing some reading...it says the bearing carrier has reverse threads and is removed clockwise. Good to know.

zvolv

Seaman Apprentice

Hooked up a battery and tried to crank it. Solenoid wouldnt even click.

Do you think this starter is still good?

Here is the plan of attack to get the drive back up and going. Pics 4 and 5. We will see if we can get the carrier out without breaking the housing...

Attachments

• CobaltStarter4.JPG
    CobaltStarter4.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 0
  • CobaltStarter2.JPG
    CobaltStarter2.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 0
  • CobaltStarter3.JPG
    CobaltStarter3.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 0
  • BearingCarrier.jpg
    BearingCarrier.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 0
  • BearingCarrierTool.jpg
    BearingCarrierTool.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 0

erikgreen

Captain

Good for what?

You can't tell from looking, you need to do some diagnostics on the electricals to tell what's wrong. Check the voltage supplied to the starter when the key is turned, make sure your connections are good (you'll have to take them off and sand them from the looks of things) and make sure your battery has enough power to start the engine.

The starter might or might not be good - is that oil you poured out of it, or water, or a mix? If it's water I'd bet it's toast, but from the looks of the internals it might be possible to get it remanned.

Good luck with the bearing carrier. Post some pics to let us know how the install goes, and to show the condition of the lower when you get it apart.

Erik

zvolv

Seaman Apprentice

I was actually kidding about that starter. Yes that was water that I found in it. That thing is toast. Any ideas what Car I can grab a starter from for the 7.4L to do my test firing. I dont plan on running the car starter once I get the boat going. I just dont want to spend $150 on a starter when I can get one from the junkyard for $20 to do my test cranking.

I think I will need a lot of luck getting that bearing carrier out. We will see how it goes. My pro fabricator buddy said he will try to make a/the special tool to get that carrier out. Lots of heat and penetrating oil and we will see if the carrier budges.

erikgreen

Captain

Any big block chevy starter for that year engine should fit? Mine is a small block, so no clue here.

Keep posting updates, I want to see how this comes out :)

Erik