aqua max

pole position

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anyone out there have any input about aqua max inflatable boats? I just bought one thats rated for a 10 hp. and love it.

surfkart

Cadet
Re: aqua max

I have the blue aquamax boat. For the price I couldn't imagine a better starter boat. I've added Yamaha 2stroke 9.9hp (could have done the 15hp as it weighs the same), Transom wheels, made my own floorboards, bimini top, tiller extension rod. 8 extra D-rings to secure everything. And I also ran 2 ratchet straps from the top of the transom and then along the full perimeter of the boat to give the engine the most possible bracing. It absolutely won't budge.

Definitely air it up till it won't take any more air. And leave at least one of the aluminum benchs on the boat (the one nearest the transom). The transom height is perfect for short shaft so don't worry about raising or lowering the motor. On my outboard one peg up from the lowest setting on my trim adjust got the fastest speed. That setting also keeps the prop spray from getting in the boat.

I also cut the stern handles mounted at the waterline off the boat as they were catching waves producing drag and kicking water into the boat.

On my boat the critical factor is weight distribution. I've moved my 3gal gas tank all the way forward into the bow crevice. And the D-rings are there to secure it. Also my "co-pilot" and I sit as far forward as possible hence the tiller extension handle.

Last weekend the boat was getting airborne if we found a big enough wave. And it makes the sharpest turns I can imagine, full throttle and yank it full left or right. I friggin love it (there should be a pic of it in my profile)

pole position

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 7.5 mercury but I picked up a tanaka 1.2 for just 20 bucks. I was working on it today and got it running. This is alot lighter (only 14 lbs.) than the merc. but the boat is mostly going to be a tender for my 33 ft.We take our dog out often and I don't need the power to take him ashore. Hopefully, I get to test it tomorrow.

pole position

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got the Tanaka on and gave it a try today. She hit a whopping 5 mph which is perfect for those dog runs. I do wish it was a little quieter though!