AQ225E Engine/Drive Noise

rav221

Seaman Apprentice
I recently purchased a used boat as a project. It is a 1986 Bayliner Capri 1950, with a 305GM and 275 Drive (Volvo Penta AQ225E). When purchased the boat had not run for about 1 1/2 years. The previous owner had flooded the engine and kept cranking until he burnt out the starter and melted the battery cable ends!! Overall, the boat is great cosmetic shape for the age, other than needing a compounding and cleaning.

Here's what I have done to the boat so far, replaced starter (marine grade), coil, points/condenser, plugs. Greased all sterndrive grease points, repaired bilge pump and blower. I also treated the 40 gallons of 1 1/2 old gas in the tank with some stabilizer and octane booster. A few shots of starting fluid and the engine fired right up, sounded really nice and smooth. I did notice that the volt meter was only showing battery voltage, checked the alternator and it was not working, so I ordered and replaced it, again with marine grade unit.

With muffs hooked up and drain hole plugged, the engine/drive is pumping water, I will however order and replace the water impeller. Here's my problem, I am noticing a noise coming from the lower-rear oil pan/engine area. From my former hot-rodding days it almost is the same noise as a bad-spun main bearing. However, the engine runs great, no knocking or piston slap sound, oil is crystal clean, it is maintaining 30lbs of oil pressure at idle and raises with throttle increase, also the temp gauge holds at 160-165. My question is could this be the engine side bearing or drive side bearings in the unit with sound transferring through the metal. I just bought a mechanic stethoscope, but haven't had time to further investigate. I did pump about 1/2 tube of grease into the housing fitting, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Is there any way to change these drive bearings without pulling the engine?

Bob....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: AQ225E Engine/Drive Noise

You probably have water in the ujoint bellows, and from there water got into the flywheel cover housing that has the primary drive shaft that goes from the engine to the drive. There is two bearings in there that get rusty and growl like that.
Problem is, you have to pull the engine to replace them.
Have a look at this link http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2360521#post2360521 and look specifically at items 3 and 8.

rav221

Seaman Apprentice
Re: AQ225E Engine/Drive Noise

Thanks for your help. I double checked the bellows, the seem in great shape. I'm going to put the boat in the water just so I can listen with the stethoscope and pinpoint the noise, but I'm sure your right. Not looking forward to pulling that V8. Should have gotten a 4 cyl, then we could have lifted it out!!! Is the reason the engine needs to be pulled because the housing won't come out without doing so?

Something else I found, the previous owner installed a stabilizer fin on the sterndrive, in doing so he removed the exhaust port fin with flapper. I'm in the process of reinstalling it, luckily I found it in a compartment. Why do people do these things......?

Bob