AQ130D Hole ... is it supposed to be here?

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer
I sure hope someone can help me, i stopped working on the rebuild when i found this awkward hole. Just above the cam bearing hole that is underneath the timing cover when it is on.

Is it supposed to be here? or is this some sort of corrosion and im screwed
c108efb0.jpg

3540985b.jpg

4abdafff.jpg

3a077eaa.jpg

Last edited:

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: AQ130D Hole ... is it supposed to be here?

It's supposed to be there. You're good,
front of block.jpg

edit - just noticed something. Don't forget to reinstall the brass oiler. It's located just to the left and toward the top of the crank gear.

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you so much Pirate!! I have been looking everywhere for a picture like that! i appreciate it.

Now i have even bigger problem.. i should probably post another thread.. but

My Camshaft will not go back into the Drive!! i dont want to pound it in because it might damage the bearings!!!
what do i do...
This is the original cam that came out of the engine... but for some reason it has a "C" stamped on the end of it. my assumption was the marine cams were a P grind.
but regardless the cam should slide in.. and if not smoothly than with a few spins ... but mine does not even want to spin.. it stops...
it will go in about 1/5 of an inch than just not go any more, and it is tough to spin...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This is the original cam that came out of the engine... but for some reason it has a "C" stamped on the end of it. my assumption was the marine cams were a P grind.

If it's the same cam that came out, I doubt the stamp on the end made it swell up after you removed it. Did you put new cam bearings in?

PS, don't even think about pounding the cam in............... :facepalm:

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah im not going to pound the cam in, and yes the new cam bearings were put in by machine shop...

I should have confirmed it first. But i ordered the cam bearings from CarQuest and took them from there to the machine shop..
The part number on the receipt is 3C7936
I tried lubing up the old bearing (and the bearing went on smoothly)

Maclin

Admiral

"My Camshaft will not go back into the Drive!! i dont want to pound it in because it might damage the bearings!!!
what do i do..."

Have you tried sliding it into the engine instead of the Drive? I bet it would fit better.. :D

So new cam bearings have been installed? Who installed them? (Need to mic all that stuff before installing, ouch.)

Don S

But i ordered the cam bearings from CarQuest and took them from there to the machine shop..
The part number on the receipt is 3C7936

I would have to venture a guess that the bearings are the wrong ones. Did your machine shop have the cam when they installed the bearings? You might be able to get the cam bearings line bored to the proper dimension. I know on some of the older Volvo diesel engines the bearing ID's were undersized and line boring was always required.

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

yeah the machine shop installed them...i will take the machine shop tommarow and see what we can do i guess. Thanks for your help

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

The OEM cam should have the part number stamped on it. Either 1-418707 or the newer number of 1218674. I also see the letter C stamped on the end but not sure if that means it's the "C" grind. I also have the automotive version of the cam on the workbench and just went out and checked both the marine and automotive version with a calipers. There does not appear to be any difference in the bearing surface diameters between the marine and automotive version cams for the B-20.

Your dilema is a little confusing since the the end you're putting into the block should be the one with the smallest diameter and the bearing on the front (the end with the threads cut into it) should be the largest diameter. Therefore, the smaller end should slip easily past the first and second bearings in the block.

One more thing. Oil pump/distributor gear and shaft assembly is out and the fuel pump is out - right?

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

im gonna take a video and i will post it within 5 minutes please stand by

Don S

Pictures and videos aren't what is needed. You need some accurate measurements with micrometers of the cam and the bearings. THEN you will know something. I doubt anyone here can accurately measure a video or picture of your bearing and cam.

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

unfortunately my harbor freight caliber stopped working i will pick up another one and get it measured..
One thing i must mention.
All 3 bearings are different sizes.
I went ahead and put just the Biggest Bearing on the biggest end.. and it fit nicely and smoothly.
than i did the reverse and that end went in fine..
does that mean its a possiblity the cam is a little warped?
explain.jpg

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

All 3 bearings are different sizes.

Yes they are. Standing at the front of your engine the small end goes in first. When the end closest to you is about to go in you need to make sure they all line up centered on the bearing they are going into. Do coat the bearings and the cam surfaces that ride on the bearings with your assembly lube. Do not fill the small bearing space full of assemble lube. Especially since the machine shop should have reinstalled the plug on that end. If you do it will create a hydraulc lock, and the cam will not want to go in.
And Like Don said mic everything.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

.....does that mean its a possiblity the cam is a little warped?

That's certainly possible. A shop will have the means to check and correct the problem. Don't recall if you can get to the cam from underneath but may help to flip the engine over to help guide the shaft into the individual bearings.

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

The machine shop said they did a full engine balance... Wouldn't that include the cam?

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Ok guys. so the day has gone by. today was stage two of my disappointment. i appreciate all of the assistance you guys have provided.
Tommarow i am going to take my engine to another machine shop (they charge a little more than my other one) but i have heard great things from them. I will have him inspect the block, the camshaft and tell me if either the camshaft is unbalanced, or the bearings are the incorrect size, If it is the incorrect size than i am in luck and i will either have him bore the bearings to the fit the camshaft, or have him pop those out, and i will get the correct ones. i will have him measure everything out. hopefully this will resolve everything.

once again thank you all for your help

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Ok guys. so the day has gone by. today was stage two of my disappointment. i appreciate all of the assistance you guys have provided.
Tommarow i am going to take my engine to another machine shop (they charge a little more than my other one) but i have heard great things from them. I will have him inspect the block, the camshaft and tell me if either the camshaft is unbalanced, or the bearings are the incorrect size, If it is the incorrect size than i am in luck and i will either have him bore the bearings to the fit the camshaft, or have him pop those out, and i will get the correct ones. i will have him measure everything out. hopefully this will resolve everything.

once again thank you all for your help

Camshafts aren't balanced. Balancing is strictly for the rotating assembly which is the pistons, rods, and crank.

Perhaps the machine shop screwed up installing the bearings, and the front one is a bit ****-eyed in the bore reducing it's ID, or perhaps a bit mushroomed if some one got a little over-zealous with the installation tool if the bearing was a tight fit.

BTW, I hope they numbered the main bearing caps if they weren't numbered by the factory.

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

I checked . Bearing caps have numbers that were from the casting process (they extrude, not punched in) and the rods have numbers punched on both rod and rod caps.

I just called the machine shop. He said he usually checks to make sure the cam fits smoothly.. and kinda shrugged as to weather he did that or not. But he assured me he will take a look at it today and if its gonna take him getting the old ones out, and new ones in, he will charge me nothing (usually 45 bucks... not really much but it adds up after you've done it 3 times in a row!!)

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

everything checked out at the machine shop... new set of bearings were loose fit onto the camshaft before they were installed today they went on smoothly...
once in the block same problem...
the cam gets stuck.. no go..
im starting to wonder is it the camshaft or the block... i am at a loss for everything right now :(