AQ130D Carburettor damage

ba5e

Seaman
While tightening the fuel line to one of the dual Solex 44 PAI carbs, the internal thread in the carb got stripped out. It seems like these carbs are nigh on impossible to come about; does anyone have some tips how I can re-thread it?

Alan Lloys

Petty Officer 3rd Class
There is currently about a handful of Solex 44 PAI carbs listed on Ebay. They should not be hard to get for a reasonable price.
Any of them should work but you may have to move your jets over dependent on where the used carb is coming from.

On re-threading you are probably best off by putting an insert in there.
One brand that comes to mind is HeliCoil but there are many others out there too.
You will have to drill and tap the hole to fit the insert that will make it fit the fuel nut. There are complete kits that come with the drill, tap and insert.
You will probably have to go with a stainless insert to be compatible with the fuel.

Hope this helps.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
The only thing I would add would be sure to buy new crush washers. I try to buy a dozen or so at a time so I have them on hand. Double check that banjo bolt as well to make sure those threads are OK. If it helps, you're not the first one that has done this so don't feel too bad.

snobdr

Seaman
I have and old carb housing if you want make me an offer. Im located in pa.