AQ125A/270 removal and install questions

SouthTexan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello All,

I am planning a transom replacement (among other things) on an 1983 Glastron Conroy X17 with a AQ125A/270 combo. I have copies of the workshop manuals for the motor and drive (thanks Don S.!) and have been studying up. However, it always seems with these projects there are tips and tricks that only experience can provide. With that in mind, can anyone provide me with answers to the following:

1. While only teardown will provide the extent of needed work in the I/O, what parts are considered mandatory to replace while the unit is apart? Bellows and seals of course, but should I budget all the bearings and u-joints even if they look in good shape? I imagine everyone's tolerance for risk is different here.

2. When installing the I/O onto the new transom, are there any secrets to getting proper alignment beyond the manuals? Advice?

3. Anyone have suggestions for modifications to the setup that offer easier future maintenance or operation that might not be in any repair manual?

4. I am getting a slight clunk shifting into drive and reverse, I have read some threads regarding a brass thrust washer which I will investigate. Any other common causes for this, such as a weak transom?

Overall the rig runs great (new timing belt and tensioner, impeller, electronic ignition conversion) just want to put it back together properly and not have to pull everything apart because I overlooked something due to inexperience.