AQ 270 Disengaging at slow RPM

Aq130c-Mike

Cadet
Any ideas on what could be causing the outdrive to disengage at slow speeds? Please watch attached video and you can hear the drive engage and disengage. I'm not moving the gear level/throttle when this is happening. When the drive is engaged, I can run at full throttle with no problems, thus not a spun prop. This started years ago and is slowing getting worse. Now it is pretty bad as you can see. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_8160.MOV
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
improperly adjusted shifting linkage leading to a burnished set of cone clutches

low oil leading to a burnished set of cone clutches

wrong oil leading to a burnished set of cone clutches

wore out cone clutches.

what adjustments have you made on the shift linkage? are you doing the annual maintenance?

Aq130c-Mike

Cadet
Thank you for the reply. The burnished cone clutch makes sense. I had the boat serviced years ago and the throttle/shifting cable was replaced. It’s never been readjusted if the new cable stretched. The outdrive oil was changed at that time. I need to check and replace the outdrive oil again.

kenny nunez

Captain
The AQs like straight 30wt motor oil. As SD said the cable may not had been adjusted when the it was replaced. Remove the shift cover, shift to forward in idle position. Pull the cotter pin from the brass cable trunnion and see if the lever on the gear case will travel more. If it will not move further then the cone clutch is the problem. I have had good results lapping them in with valve grinding compound or glass bead blasting also works.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thank you for the reply. The burnished cone clutch makes sense. I had the boat serviced years ago ...... The outdrive oil was changed at that time. I need to check and replace the outdrive oil again.
checking the gear oil is an annual event or every 50 hours, which ever occurs first