Applying Layers of Gelcoat ?

Crappie_Fan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I started last night brushing on gelcoat in big areas where I had to patch the bottom of my hull. From reading through the archives I figured this morning the gelcoat would be tacky, but is was real smooth and dry. Do I now need to scuff up the gelcoat to apply some more layers, so the gelcoat will stick to the first layer? The boat is real old, and is just a fishing boat, I'm not worried about wet sanding and the process to make it look shiney, I may polish the sides of the boat just so it looks halfway decent. Heres a link to the Boat , you can see the progress so far. Thanks for the help guys

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Applying Layers of Gelcoat ?

Do I now need to scuff up the gelcoat to apply some more layers, so the gelcoat will stick to the first layer?
Ayuh,....... Sure Do.........

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

The gelcoat that you used has wax added to it,you will need to sand it and wash it before adding more gelcoat.One way not having to go thru with all that is,when gelcoating,after you coat,let it set till its tacky,then aply your next coat and so on.

Crappie_Fan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The gelcoat I bought was from US composites, they had a note below the decription that said, surfacing wax should be added to final coat. So I bought some surfacing wax to add to the final coat thinking that the gallon itself had no wax in it. Man now I have alot of extra work to do. Thanks guys

Crappie_Fan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I have used the whole gallon of gel coat, and covered all the areas I have worked on and then used the rest as a paint more less. However I was going to add a thin coat with surfacing wax added to the whole area I coated to make sure it cured totally. The areas that have sat overnight have dried tack free, but if I put some acetone on a rag and wipe those areas it will get tacky, does this mean Its not cured and I need to recoat with surfacing wax? And If so can I just mix up some surfacing wax and MEKP and coat the whole boat so the gelcoat will cure?<br /><br />Thanks for the help.

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you are satisfied with the appearance, leave it alone.<br /><br /> The areas that have sat overnight have dried tack free.<br /><br /> Your gelcoat is curing, in the next 36 hours it should be hard. With the weather at DFW, by the week end it should be hard enough to go in the water. :)