Apology To Mod 1

ZmOz

Captain
Re: Apology To Mod 1

Originally posted by moderator1:<br />We have the solicitation rules so that iboats is not clogged with SPAM offers. Nobody wants that.
Mr.Ladyfish's post was not spam. We all understand why you need the rules agains solicitation, but they should be enforced with a little common sense. I doubt there is one person here that would be happier on a board free of generous offers. If this is how you want to treat your members, I will be doing all future boat related shopping elsewhere.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

C'mon, ZmOz. Chill a bit, friend.<br /><br />Sometimes we interpret the rules more tightly than at other times, sometimes you disagree.<br /><br />The correct way to express your question, concern or complaint is to use the "contact us" icon, not start a speech making contest in public.<br /><br />When you need to read hundreds of posts, sometimes you misread one. That is all that happened. Mod 1's batting average is pretty sensational if you ask me.<br /><br />To get perfect moderation you will have to pay more for the use of this BB. :D

Bondo

Staff member

Ok,...Ok,..Ok... So If a member were to post a thread about needing Help with his late 80s Ford pickup or SUV,...... <br />And,.. Mr.Ladyfish was to offer to send him a Manual for his truck, Free...<br />That Would Be Alright..?....<br />I Hope so...... That's about how I've found Myself before.........I've got Junk Parts on boats All Over the Country....... :D <br /><br />ZmOz,.....<br />Maybe you're being a little Hastie with your decision.........<br />After All,... The Man's got a Job to do....And,... He Has come back to Explain........ ;)

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander

Ok,...Ok,..Ok... So If a member were to post a thread about needing Help with his late 80s Ford pickup or SUV,...... <br />And,.. Mr.Ladyfish was to offer to send him a Manual for his truck, Free...<br />That Would Be Alright..?....<br />
I would have no problem with that.

rottenray6402

Ensign

I think we should congratulate moderator1 for replying and offering a clarification. This renews my faith in this forum.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by JB:<br />The correct way to express your question, concern or complaint is to use the "contact us" icon, not start a speech making contest in public.
So it's againt the rules now to point out when someone is wrong? :rolleyes: <br /><br />
Originally posted by JB:<br /> When you need to read hundreds of posts, sometimes you misread one. That is all that happened.
So if he posted the exact same thing again it would be left alone? I didn't see an apology from mod1...after Mr.Ladyfish was quick to apologize for something he definately didn't need to.<br /><br />
Originally posted by JB:<br />To get perfect moderation you will have to pay more for the use of this BB. :D
As much as I've spent at iboats.com, I HAVE paid for the use of this forum. If this forum did not help the income of iboats.com surely it would not exist.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

(((( goin back to the fishin' cavern.. I'm not married so I can't get into trouble there ))))<br /><br />(((( I'll be the one under 20lbs of leeches having a good blood letting ))))

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander

ZMOZ wrote:<br /><br />
So if he posted the exact same thing again it would be left alone?
No, I did not say that. I said creating a subject to solicit, even for free, is in my opinion a solicitation. As mentioned, previously. Many times an offer to swap a part, book or some other piece that may help someone out is done all the time. It's just done in the text of the message, not the primary reason for the post. As I mentioned, we do not want trolling solicitors to get the idea that they can create all kinds of posts hoping to snare some iboats member. <br /> <br />I know Mr. Ladyfishs post was not intended to be SPAM. However, some people that troll this board may get the wrong idea and deluge the board with all kinds of offers. I don't think any of us want that to happen.<br /><br />ZmOz wrote:<br /><br />
I didn't see an apology from mod1
I'm not perfect, I said it here.<br /><br />Moderator1 wrote:<br /><br />
I could be wrong. It won't be the first time, or the last. We are after all human.<br />

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by moderator1:<br />Originally posted by moderator1:<br />No, I did not say that. I said creating a subject to solicit, even for free, is in my opinion a solicitation.
So in other words, it was NOT a mistake, and the rules say you cannot be generous and offer things for free here. In my opinion, that is treating your members like crap and there fore I will no longer be shopping here. Anybody with half a brain can see the difference between spam and Mr.Ladyfish's offer. Leaving offers like his will not give people the wrong idea that they can post items for sale here. :rolleyes:

JB

I would think that in the scenario that Bondo offers the safest thing for Mr. LF to do is post a "Email me" message. Then there is no opportunity to misread a generous offer as solicitation.<br /><br />I looked at the post for a long time before I decided to leave it. I have a lot more time to do that than Mod 1. It was a close call either way.<br /><br />Please cut Mod 1 some slack, guys. He donates hundreds of hours here to help keep your BB civil and useful. He gets no compensation for that, it is worth a lot and is very generous of him.

ob

Admiral

Originally posted by ZmOz:<br />
So in other words, it was NOT a mistake, and the rules say you cannot be generous and offer things for free here. In my opinion, that is treating your members like crap and there fore I will no longer be shopping here. Anybody with half a brain can see the difference between spam and Mr.Ladyfish's offer. Leaving offers like his will not give people the wrong idea that they can post items for sale here. :rolleyes:
If you decide to take your business elsewhere over such a trivial matter ,I wish you luck in finding the respect and honor you seek along with free information forums.I feel there is a little testosterone flying here and I deduced somewhat of an apaology from what I read,short of just having a guy lay his head on the chopping block and admit fault.I say everyone should just let it go,and carry on.This one has some shaded area that is understandable from both sides.

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

moderator1, JB<br />I belong to other forums and questions are brought up daily about something someone has,wants or wants to get rid of.The first thing the other person does is ask the poster to PM them. <br /><br />How difficult would it be to set up a Personal Message system and add it to this board?<br /><br />I think that would get rid of this kind of issue when it comes to posting. For Example you could find someone who has and issue with their truck and I can say "Hey check your PM" I would then talk to the person in private and not on the forum.<br /><br />just my $0.02 worth.

JB

That sounds pretty good at first, Poppa G.<br /><br />I doubt that those other sites you visit belong to retailers who need to protect their business interests.<br /><br />The sorting out of transactions that compete from those that don't would be Solomon's nightmare and cause a lot of bad feelings. It is tough enough to get 54,000+ people to accept our rules without adding more judgement issues.<br /><br />Thanks for trying, though. It has the makings of a fair and just idea.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

In addition to what JB said above; I think the PM idea would lead to alot of the repair posts being taken off-forum, and then the solutions and troubleshooting info would not be here for others to learn from.

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by ZmOz:<br /> In my opinion, that is treating your members like crap and there fore I will no longer be shopping here. Anybody with half a brain can see the difference between spam and Mr.Ladyfish's offer. Leaving offers like his will not give people the wrong idea that they can post items for sale here. :rolleyes:
You havin a bad day? This forum is the best of the web and iboats folks are great. I've met some of them and they really were terrific. Chill a little and com'on back.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

To Mod 1. I see now what the point was on the rules. Thanks for clarifying for everyone here. <br />Thanks for keeping this a good clean place to come and be a part of a group. And thanks for putting yourself in the line of fire to do what you do. Believe me I completely understand where you are coming from, and I understand your point of solicitation now.<br />Thanks for posting back to everyone on this.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by carrotsnapper:<br />
Originally posted by ZmOz:<br /> In my opinion, that is treating your members like crap and there fore I will no longer be shopping here. Anybody with half a brain can see the difference between spam and Mr.Ladyfish's offer. Leaving offers like his will not give people the wrong idea that they can post items for sale here. :rolleyes:
You havin a bad day? This forum is the best of the web and iboats folks are great. I've met some of them and they really were terrific. Chill a little and com'on back.
I had a great day, actually, but I get a little PO'ed when someone does something rude to someone doing a good deed, and then makes excuses about it...

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I didn't read it as "making excuses". I read it as Mod1 gaving his reasoning behind his actions.....right or wrong, Mod1 took the time to do this. It's a given that the Mods won't please all the members all the time but at least cut them some slack and give them some credit for being the standup folks they are. <br /><br />And we should also remember that there is a place on this site where a person can buy, sell or give stuff away. It's the "Thrifites" area under iboats Classifieds.