Anyone want to "Pimp my Boat"? ......

Chris_94_Sprint_TX

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Anyone want to "Pimp my Boat"? ......

Try posting some pics and lets go from there. It might be easier for some of the people here to shed a little more light on the boat with pictures.

Chris

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I think the repair costs on the floor and so on will shock you. The few times I have done that you get crazy high prices. And honestly no one is going to do a better job than you will. While it may look very huge right now, if you do it one step at a time it is easier and you end up with a much better job. The guys in the resto forum can walk you through all of it.

Last edited:

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

You must really be attached to that boat to want to go through with this.
Essentially, you will be completely redoing the entire interior once you replace the transom, motor mounts, stringers and all woodwork.
You will also be pulling the engine for a complete rebuild or replacement along with all the associated parts, wiring, controls ect. The drive will also need to be gone through.
Then the exterior needs refinishing, and the trailer will most likely need work, tires ect.
I'm a total sucker for projects, but even if I had this for free I don't think I would tackle it. As mentioned above, you could take the money you will be spending and buy a very nice boat. And you won't be investing 2 years of part time labor.

pckeen

Commander

Yeah - $4000 seems light for a stringer and floor replacemement. Cant hurt to get a quote though.

Malibu Rudder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am all about sustainability, deconstruction and holding onto physical memories but.......this one seems like it may be time for a different boat so you can remember old memories and build new memories right away. :) Good luck. If you decide to take on the project, there are many people willing to talk you through the challenges and above all research the restoration section as many have already suggested. I love a good challenge but this one will be a whole new boat. I once remodeled a home instead of building a new one from start in order to benefit from the tax advantage. The only thing still left from the original home was a very small amount of foundation. Once it was completed I vowed to start from scratch if I ever did it again. I would have had a better home had I just built from the ground up.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would say spend the cash on a newer, running ride. And make memories with your dad on the water, not pouring blood , sweat, and tears into something that may or may not see the water again. Nothing against you or your drive for this project... anything can be done. That's just a hell of a project to dive into. Good luck to you!

SigSaurP229

Commander

Lets see I have right around $2000 in materials in my little tinny that was in that condition. If I were to calculate my hours I would probably be right around the $9000 mark for an 18' Starcraft Tinny. You can do it we all will help but remember its going to be ALOT of blood sweat and tears.