anyone use a durango?

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anyone use a durango to pull your boat? We found one at a dealer for what seems like a good price. Its a 99 dodge durango with a 5.2 v-8. It has the factory tow package and is fully loaded with all options....even has the third row seat. Its Black with saddle interior and it has 140,000 miles. The front suspension looks like it was just replaced ( I know these trucks are known for bad ball joints.) There isnt a scratch on her. We talked the dealer down to $6000. Oh yeah its sitting on a brand new set of BFG 31s. Sound like a good deal? Anyone have any complaints in towing with one of these?

sangerwaker

Commander
Re: anyone use a durango?

Tranny bad bad bad!!!!!! My brother had his into the dealer at least 6 times for tranny work. I have a Dakota, which uses the same tranny, and have had to have mine rebuilt as well. Dodge had some design flaws IMO. <br /><br />See if the tranny has been rebuilt yet. If so, you should be OK as long as it was done correctly. If it has not been rebuilt, have a shop check it out before you buy it.

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

I'll second the tranny thing. I would guess with 140,000 that is has been rebuilt but check because it's due. <br /><br />Other than that a nice truck.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

140,000 miles and not a scratch? What does that tell you? You can't drive that far without a stone chip, door ding, scratch, etc. I would suspect it was repainted. Why?

NathanY

Commander

Brakes calipers and rotors on those things were not the best quality either.

NathanY

Commander

Originally posted by roscoe:<br /> 140,000 miles and not a scratch? What does that tell you? You can't drive that far without a stone chip, door ding, scratch, etc. I would suspect it was repainted. Why?
That doesnt mean anything. I just sold my 99 Jimmy in the same perfect condition with 200,000 on it and it was never painted. I just washed it every now and then, Roscoe! :D

sangerwaker

Commander

What Nate said. My wife's '95 Grand Cherokee has almost 200,000 miles and is perfect too! Never repainted either. It's a rarity, but it does happen.<br /><br />Formula, if you open the hood, doors, and back gate, inspect the jambs for over spray. That can tell you if it's been repainted.

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer

A few things. Dealers will tell you it has the "tow package" just because it has a hitch on it. That could have been added afterwards and it still not have tranny & PS coolers, etc. One way to tell is if the mirrors are large "Mickey Mouse ears" 6x9" or the more streamlined teardrop style. The big ones come on the tow package Durangos.<br /><br />Second item and most important for boat towing is what axle ratio it has. Get under the rear of the vehicle and look for a tag on one of the diff bolts. If it says 3.92 you are in good shape -- 3.55 and I would look for another.<br /><br />I would recommend getting the VIN and emailing Dodge and asking them for a build sheet [a Dodge dealer will do this too]. That way you can check if it has a LSD rear and check the ratio if the tag isn't on the diff. The LSD rear is a plus for slippery ramp work.<br /><br />I have the 5.9L with 3.92 LSD gears and it is rated for 7600 lbs. Get the 5.2 with 3.55 and it will be more like 5500 lbs. My 5.9 / 3.92 combo tows my 4000 lb load very well and I am extremely happy with the truck. Bought it with 72K miles and have put 18K on it in a little over a year -- about 3K of that has been towing.<br /><br />Here is the link to send a request to Dodge for the build sheet:<br /><br /> http://www.dodge.com/webselfservice...me=customer&country=us&emailUrl=goToEmailForm

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer

Also, see what tires came on it originally by looking at the build sheet. If the 31s are bigger diameter than OEM, it will reduce your towing capacity.

RC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Formula, I own a '02 Durango with the 4.7. My boat is an 1986 Four Winns 190 Horizon. Tows it without a problem. We've had no problems at all.

Johnshan1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Great vehicles with plenty of power, the only major downside is transmisson issues, they eat them on a regular basis.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

I've got the '03 w/tow package and it works just fine for my needs(older Wellcraft). Mileage isn't the best,15 to 19mpg is about all I can squeeze out. As far as the ball joint problems, I believe that only pertained to the 4wd Durangos/Dakotas. Haven't had any tranny problems (or any other problems for that matter), so I can't address that problem.<br />Good Luck<br /><br />Dave

keelhauled

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's got the old 318 and 4 speed trans... move up 1 year and get the 5 speed automatic and 4.7 V8.. much more reliable trans, motor about the same.

67MIke

Seaman Apprentice

Make sure sure it has a good tranny cooler with regular tranny service. Best savior for dodge trannies

CoachHolland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nothing wrong with Durango transmissions at all as long as you go by their service schedule and actually use the correct fluids. One major issue is that very few owners service the transmission.<br /><br />Problem is that the owners that do get their tranny serviced usually go to this quickie shops who use ATF+3... not good at all. It is supposed to be ATF+4 (available at the dealer only for $15). If you're towing, then you should have the transmission serviced every 12K miles according to the heavy duty schedule.<br /><br />I have the 5.2 with 3.55 gears and have no problems towing at all and zero shifting issues. Last season there was a newer Chevy out at the dock that wouldn't start and had what looked to be at least a 25 footer on the back. Hooked them up to a chain, very steep slope and pulled them up to the parking lot like they weren't even there.<br /><br />Mine is the same year as yours and it has been a great vehicle. Check out dodgetalk.com for more information on them (I've got the same username over there).

JohnRuff

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I love mine 2004 - 5.7 litre -- 3.92 gears<br /><br />It pulls my 3500 lb boat like it isn't even there.

Johnshan1

Well lets just say one of these trannys with just 60K miles and no towing was just rebuilt, and according to the dealer this is a regular thing!! <br /><br />Also our fleet vehicles at work are a mixed bunch, the Dodge trucks get at least one tranny by 80-90K miles and thats a fact. I like Dodge trucks so I am not bashing. <br /><br />Also look at the Caravans, horrible transmissions, this is again fact ask any owner with over 60-80K miles they will tell you this.<br /><br />Again im not bashing but lets just be honest, Dodge transmissions are weak at best, even when maintained. I hope they get better as I like the trucks.<br /><br />-John

Realgun

Commander

I will never ever buy a Chrysler product because of the tranny in the Voyager we had. <br />However 6000 is not a bad price for a nice truck but I would get an extended warranty for the tranny.

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well we ended up getting it. No problems yet and couldnt be happier with the truck. Well there is one thing, this is the first black vehicle I have owned and man does it get dirty fast. I cant drive 5 miles without it looking filthy. Thanks for all your replies.

Johnshan1

No doubt that is a nice vehicle, mine was black and I do agree that it gets dirty fast, I used Zymol wax on my dakota and it kept it looking great:<br /><br />
hooddak.jpg