Anyone try using TransTune on trim hydraulics (seafoam product)

mickms

Cadet
I have a gradual leak-down problem on my trim hydraulic system. Short of replacing the pump, which is pretty costly, I've been told I could try cleaning the system -- that there is probably some debris on a seal in the pump that is letting the fluid gradually flow back out of the rams. Frankly I'm not too sure how to clean out the pump, but I came across this stuff from Sea Foam that is for hydraulic systems (i.e., transmissions / steering ) and wonder if anyone has used this successfully for a leak down problem. It's called Trans Tune... here's a link to mfg. page: http://www.seafoamsales.com/trans-tune.html.

In theory, it seems like you'd add it to the old fluid and run it through through enough cycles to get it to dissolve away any deposits on the valves... then purge and replace with fresh fluid... fine as long as it doesn't mess up the ram seals or anything else.

Any thoughts from the experts?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Anyone try using TransTune on trim hydraulics (seafoam product)

You don't have a seal leaking, and forget about those mechanics in a can they fix nothing. They are a temporary fix at best, and not meant to fix your problem at all.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Re: Anyone try using TransTune on trim hydraulics (seafoam product)

You don't have a seal leaking, and forget about those mechanics in a can they fix nothing. They are a temporary fix at best, and not meant to fix your problem at all.

Hmm cant one use ATF fluid.....Nothing cleans a system better and i believe it can used 24/7...Seals are what fails and they cant be brought back to life