Anyone Seen these?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
This has been discussed ad nauseium on other forums. The general consensus is its not cost effective. Regardless, actual production and sales have either not started yet, or are just starting.

Only real customer data will tell the story.

(personally, for 4 grand I would want my fuel consumption to be about 40 mpg)

If you have a custom whatever that cost you $1,500,000, stay tuned. If your ride is a 1989 Bayliner with a 3.0 liter I/O, move along.....LOL.
I am sorry since when have boats become cost effective? Did I miss that happening?

aspeck

Staff member
Boating isnt cost effective, but putting a $4000 prop on a $400 boat isnt just not cost effective, its stupid.
I might buy one of them if they were only $4000! But $5000 is just a smidgen too high ... LOL

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
I don't think these props were designed or marketed for the average recreational boater. You would have to use your boat enough hours per year to realize the fuel cost savings or take advantage of the extra range for further offshore fishing grounds.

It is probably suited better for the commercial guys or the diehard Canyon fishermen in the NE coastal areas that run 100+ miles offshore.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
It will be interesting to actually read/review Real User reports of how the prop performs, instead of a Paid Advertisement disguised as a Review, from an Industry Mouthpiece, that just passing on a Company Script

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
It will be interesting to actually read/review Real User reports of how the prop performs, instead of a Paid Advertisement disguised as a Review, from an Industry Mouthpiece, that just passing on a Company Script
All I hear when you talk like that is: I want one ,I really really only want one.

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I don't think these props were designed or marketed for the average recreational boater. You would have to use your boat enough hours per year to realize the fuel cost savings or take advantage of the extra range for further offshore fishing grounds.

It is probably suited better for the commercial guys or the diehard Canyon fishermen in the NE coastal areas that run 100+ miles offshore.
Bingo. these are the folks that SEEK OUT technologies that will save them money. Seems to me there is a vacuum of testimonials from these sorts of folks that this prop is the next best thing since sliced bread. If it truly was as good as they say at saving money for operators, they would be all over it like flies on a fresh pile of scat.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I don't care what y'all say, that thing will look good going down the road on the trailer ..
There are lots of things that look good, but are of no Use, or Value. It could end up being a 'More Money than Brains' Identifier

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Wow you want one you REALLY REALLY want one.
No, but I am spending more money than that on a new Camera Body, which I kinda do want

Besides, with the Price of Guzzloline being where it is, I don't see much value in Boating these days

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
OK, so the prop is $4500 more than a high performance SS one. That is many years of gasoline savings to break even., if ever.

Now if it was able to walk the dog and make dinner, plus double the efficiency of my boat, that would be worth considering.

Lets say you have a $500 mousetrap, that catches 5 X the number of mice.....will they still beat a path to your door?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
OK, so the prop is $4500 more than a high performance SS one. That is many years of gasoline savings to break even., if ever.

Now if it was able to walk the dog and make dinner, plus double the efficiency of my boat, that would be worth considering.

Lets say you have a $500 mousetrap, that catches 5 X the number of mice.....will they still beat a path to your door?
Until there is a proper test done…we have no idea if it is any better on fuel, than a good equivalent 3 blade. No idea at all. We just can’t trust these reviews. The prop slip numbers show 0 and negative slip…Total BS.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
This prop target customer is the guy that launches in South Carolina on Friday afternoon, is in Marathon Key Saturday afternoon, and runs back for Sunday

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I am sorry since when have boats become cost effective? Did I miss that happening?
If you have an old 1950's 2-stroke that sucks gas like there is no tomorrow, and you replace it with a modern 4-stroke, then the upgrade is probably cost effective, depending on how much you go boating.

If you buy a modern SS high performance Mercury Enertia prop (or others) and increase your fuel economy, the data will show your improvement. Then, YOU can decide if the ROI meets your requirements.

Info thus far (or lack of it) indicated that the Sbarraow does not provide $3300 of cost effectiveness above a $700 Mercury prop.

A friend of mine once said "I didn't buy a boat to save money". True words. But striving to make changes to improve performance, economy or speed is what most batmen work toward.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I remember a lot of People balking at the Cost of the Enertia back in the day, when I was Praising it. I was lucky as my Dealer, just let me take it off of his Boat to try. It made several differences in how the Boat Handled on Plane, It's Tenacious Grip on the water, and how raised both the Bow and Stern of the boat on plane.
16 yrs later, it is still a good Prop, one of the best.
That said, it wasn't a 'Do Everything' prop as I experience it on a larger Lund Tinny. On that hull, it induced Porpoising at all trim settings, even fully in. Boat ran fine with a Venergence, or Lazer.

Status
Not open for further replies.