Anyone installed under water lighting? (Stern)

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I am looking to install some blue LED under water lights at the back of the pontoons. Anyone have any good ideas in regards to how to actually install to the aluminum pontoons? I would prefer to NOT drill any holes.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
3M outdoor mounting tape also sold as automotive trim mounting tape. Its gray foam double stick.

Prep the surfaces well.

Any glue based attachment (double stick tape is essentially a glue) will eventually fail... but this stuff is very good.

Another idea is mount them on rods that can be raised or lowered, attached to the side/back rails. Pull them up when at speed kind of like dealing with a stern mount trolling motor on a jon boat.

WaterDR

Hummm...interesting. Would need to be entirely water proof as they will be under water.

mpilot

Seaman
If you have the brackets on the back of the toons that's where most people mount them. I've seen people that dont have the brackets put them on the back of the transom and they look pretty good. Since your transom isn't water tight most likely it won't be a problem. To go a step further you could use aluminum bolts to bolt them on to prevent corrosion. You also might have luck using 5200 or 5300 top attach them to the back of the toons assuming you can clamp them somehow to dry. Personally I like the look of the transom mount because there are no more wires running down the back of the toons.

WaterDR

Ill have to take a look at the back again....

I have a bracket installed on one pontoon for the depth finder, but not on the other side. Would need one welded on. My transom I don;t think will work the way the motor sits on it. I suspect I will need two lights.

ahicks

Captain
Thinking using the right LED's would take care of water proof. My concern would be "stuff" hanging up on them if they were mounted underwater.

WaterDR

The lights are water proof...I need a way to mount them that is water proof and avoids welding or drilling.

WaterDR

I ended up mounting them to two pieces of square aluminum pipe that I cut into two small sections. Then mounted them with 3M adhesive. Worked great.