Anyone have Seastar HC5332 cylinder on their Bravo 3?

wisebob

Seaman
Just wanted to get feedback on anyone with th Seastar HC5332 cylinder on a Bravo 3. Has it been reliable and would you be able to send over any pics of the install?

Thanks.

alldodge

Staff member
Just wanted to get feedback on anyone with th Seastar HC5332 cylinder on a Bravo 3. Has it been reliable and would you be able to send over any pics of the install?

Thanks.

I have not seen one used with the Bravo drive system, but according to Seastar it can be used only in conjunction with the engines power steering system, Page 13
Do not install into an application that does not use the engine manufacturers power steering

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/343319g.pdf

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class
On page 17 it appears that this actuator is for non power assist systems only. The cylinder is supposed to be attached to the tiller arm, and the piston to the transom bracket.

I don't know if there is a mistake in the catalogue, because the item No appears under two drawings (red circles)

Maybe the same actuator is available in two configurations, one where the cylinder is attached to the transom bracket, and one where the cylinder is attached to the tiller arm.

As long as the cylinder is balanced(which most are) it think it will work fine. Non balanced cylinders will, as far as I understand, require more wheel rotations to one side than the other. I have one non balanced cylinder for a power assisted steering laying around, but I don't want to install it (in my 18 footer), since the teleflex operated power steering works great.

In my 17 footer, I have installed hydraulic steering on the Volvo 280 outdrive. The only thing that bugs me, is that if I turn completly to one side, I can keep on turning the steering wheel, very slowly, which results in a steering wheel that is not postioned correct, when going straight ahead.
Seastar.JPG