Anyone got Sirius satellite radio ??

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Anyone got Sirius satellite radio ??

Looks like most things have been covered. I had XM, and bought mounts for all my vehicles. So I paid for one account and just moved the little cell phone sized head unit around. It plays through the stereo. My account was under someone else, and they needed the extra for another car, so I had to reluctantly give it up. My new work car has Sirius and its almost as good, but it is incorperated into the stereo so I cant move it around. My wife isnt interested in having it in her car anyway. I did like being able to move it from car to car to boat to house though. I used in my offroad vehicle, and in my boat and on my patio. The nice thing about that is we dont lose reception while out on the water because we are normally out of broadcast range for most local radio stations both in the boat and Jeep. At the house to now that I think about it, but I have cable radio here.

I travel in the work car, so if they werent paying for it, I would be. I did have a strange ordeal going through north Florida. For some reason I was picking up 2 stations on each station and had to turn it off till I got up past Gainesville. Not sure where it came back in sinc, but that is when I lost the local station I found.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Now we use Pandora on my wife's phone while on the boat. It works pretty good too.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I can't understand how you could NOT have heard them?????

I subscribed to Sirius back in 2000. They were 100% commercial free.

Now, I see no difference in commercials from regular HD FM.

The only benefit I see is being able to listen to the same channels, no matter where you are.

Really??? Hmmmmm. My wife says I never listen....:p I really have never heard an ad on a music channel. Now, sports and talk is a different matter, but that's always been the case.

ziggy

Admiral

from reading all that. sounds to hit and miss to me (reception, quality, etc)(typical high tech 'stuff' imho), let alone the monthly payments. that is the part that really gripes me. free fm radio. cd's ya gotta pay for but it's only once. then i own them to do what i want with them.
i hate this pay as ya go society. ya just keep paying it seems to me (and there's always something else new to pay for too). man, you could pay pay pay them monthly fees for 'stuff' and go broke doing it... ya can't live (eat,drink) on this 'stuff'...

i'll continue to either listen to what i got or if i want something else that's different, i'll listen to the wind and waves...

good luck in your decision kenmyfam...

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Zig, I hear ya and to an extent I agree. However, for less than the cost of one CD a month I can choose from a mind boggling assortment of commercial free music and a huge selection of sports, comedy, old time radio, etc. etc. etc. that just isn't available anywhere else, and I don't have to lug around a CD collection like I once did. If I drive to Dallas, Chicago, or BFE I can listen to the same thing I do in Little Rock. No CDs to get scratched or stuck in the head unit, no MP3 files to pay for and later find corrupted, no static, no loud car commercials......uh, I'm starting to sound like an XM salesman, which I most definitely am not. I just be sayin' it's a pretty darned good value for the right person. To each his own.;)

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

I have it and LOVE it.
Great for long distance travelling.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I had it a couple years ago. I have it now on my new Ford. I hate it now even more than I hated it then.

Raystownboater

Chief Petty Officer

Really??? Hmmmmm. My wife says I never listen....:p I really have never heard an ad on a music channel. Now, sports and talk is a different matter, but that's always been the case.

I had xm when it first appeared then switched to sirius a few years ago when xm started plugging in too many commercials. I have not heard a single commercial on any of the music stations from sirius.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I had xm when it first appeared then switched to sirius a few years ago when xm started plugging in too many commercials. I have not heard a single commercial on any of the music stations from sirius.

Okay, are you guys hearing commercials on the music channels? Starting to think I'm losing my mind.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The "DJs" are worse than commercials. I just cannot fathom why they think ANYONE wants to hear them.

Raystownboater

Chief Petty Officer

Okay, are you guys hearing commercials on the music channels? Starting to think I'm losing my mind.

Sirius does NOT have commercials on music channels. I have, however, heard commercials on "the best of xm" music.

Raystownboater

Chief Petty Officer

The "DJs" are worse than commercials. I just cannot fathom why they think ANYONE wants to hear them.

Not arguing that point but listening to the "regular" radio anymore, is mind numbing. They are only able to get about 6 or 7 songs on per hour between all the commercials and DJ commentary. If I had your music library, I may change my mind about the satellite thing, though. I'm pretty sure you can listen to your ipod for a whole day without hearing the same song twice!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Sirius does NOT have commercials on music channels. I have, however, heard commercials on "the best of xm" music.

Hmmm. I started with XM. Between us the admiral, admiral, jr. and I listen to Sinatra, Spectrum, Forties, Fifties, Elvis, Margaritaville, Willie's Roadhouse, Message, Pops, Symphony Hall, Lithium, Coffeehouse, Pulse, First Wave, Disney, Kids, and many others I'm forgetting and with the VERY NOTABLE exception of Disney, which is as bad as the worst FM station when it comes to ads,:mad: they're all commercial free. Margaritaville plugs Jimmy Buffett junk, but that's to be expected.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Oh I'm certainly not advocating regular radio over Sirius. Gosh no! Regular radio is completely unlistenable. I haven't willingly listened to FM in years and years. However, this is me listening to Sirius:

change channel, change channel, change channel, "oh here's a good song", listen to the second half of the song, next song comes on, "this song sucks", change channel, change channel, "oh here's a good song", listen to the second half of the song REPEAT ad nauseum. It just isn't worth a subscription price for me to have to change the channel as much as I would FM because they can't play more than 1 or 2 good songs in a row.

And yes, I could go well over a week of 24 hour listening without a repeat from my MP3 collection.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Zig, I hear ya and to an extent I agree. However, for less than the cost of one CD a month I can choose from a mind boggling assortment of commercial free music and a huge selection of sports, comedy, old time radio, etc. etc. etc. that just isn't available anywhere else, and I don't have to lug around a CD collection like I once did. If I drive to Dallas, Chicago, or BFE I can listen to the same thing I do in Little Rock. No CDs to get scratched or stuck in the head unit, no MP3 files to pay for and later find corrupted, no static, no loud car commercials......uh, I'm starting to sound like an XM salesman, which I most definitely am not. I just be sayin' it's a pretty darned good value for the right person. To each his own.;)

I agree, I have heard that the largest occupation of the country that purchases Satelite radio is over the road truck drivers which makes sense since I spend a huge amount of time on the road(until recently) as well. I know that the DJ's on the Music channels are doing the same thing that the over the air DJ's do which drives me nuts I mean if I wanted to listen to them talk I would listen to a talk show channel which I often do but when I want to listen to music for god sakes shat up! But thats why I love it so much its a click of the button to listen to anything I want no matter how far I am from home, on the Boat, Bike or whatever!

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It doesn't matter what kind of vehicle it is. If it's set up for satellite radio, it's XM/Sirius. The service is the SAME!! How they brand it doesn't matter. Again-same.

Same commercialized service. Just like cable/Sat. TV. Thank God for DVR's. I don't watch anything "live".

cribber

Lieutenant

I just wish they'd let you alacarte the channels you listen to. I tend to flip between local rock and Octane when traveling.

mscher

Lieutenant

Standard XM does not have commercials on it's music channels