Anyone familiar with Hynautics Hydraulic Steering?

Pierce89

Seaman
Good morning, I am restoring a boat that with with Hynautic steering -- I believe the cylinder is a Hynautic K-10 (needing KS-07 seal kit) and the helm is an H-80 (HS-08 seal kit). The cylinder starboard seal is leaking and I figured I may as well replace all seals before installing.

For the helm, I saw a couple videos on the H-50 which should be similar enough to do the H-80. For the K-10 ram, I cannot find any walkthrough whatsoever. Is anyone familiar with this disassembly and reassembly of this model?

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG-1027.jpg
    IMG-1027.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG-1028.jpg
    IMG-1028.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Nothing special about any of the steering cylinders.

Shaft seals and orings are commercially available. Just tear it down and source the components individually.

Pierce89

Seaman
Thanks do you know the best way/steps of removal to get to the seals? I've seen videos of removing nuts with a special wrench with pins for some models, and also videos of a slot that you remove a pin out of.other models. This model seems to have neither of them!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Thanks do you know the best way/steps of removal to get to the seals? I've seen videos of removing nuts with a special wrench with pins for some models, and also videos of a slot that you remove a pin out of.other models. This model seems to have neither of them!
It appears to be a "sealed" (can't rebuild) cylinder although replacement cost is a bit steep for a throw away cylinder.

Have you tried twisting the end caps off the ends of the tube?

04fxdwgi25

Chief Petty Officer
Never saw one before. Looks like a std seastar system with a handle that replaces the wheel, but has a 1/2 turn lock to lock ratio.

Pierce89

Seaman
I would think it's not a sealed system only because the seals for the Hynautic K-10 are available for purchase online. Dometic Marine sent me the parts diagram attached but didn't respond when I asked how to disassemble it. I still haven't tried disassembly and was hoping someone may have some experience with it and could guide. I have a bit of time... still need to install my new fuel tank and deck from the 2nd picbefre tackling this k_10_parts_illustrated_f127f6658a229a1872568fa38ec6e9de44c0de75.jpg
unnamed (1).jpg

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I would think it's not a sealed system only because the seals for the Hynautic K-10 are available for purchase online. Dometic Marine sent me the parts diagram attached but didn't respond when I asked how to disassemble it. I still haven't tried disassembly and was hoping someone may have some experience with it and could guide. I have a bit of time... still need to install my new fuel tank and deck from the 2nd picbefre tackling this
Yep, the end caps screw off.

Pierce89

Seaman
Follow up to these questions. Cylinder seals have arrived and I'll change them out this weekend. The helm fill screw has a warning "loss of steering may occur if purging instructions are not followed exactly". I can't find the manual online.

This model doesn't have a separate reservoir, just 2 hydraulic lines running from helm to cylinder. Can anyone please help with the steps to add hydraulic fluid and bleed?

Attachments

• unnamed (4).jpg
    unnamed (4).jpg
    786.8 KB · Views: 0