anyone else get a sore shoulder from shooting big guns?

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: anyone else get a sore shoulder from shooting big guns?

While this guy may not be in the same caliber as the big boys (PUN)
This Swedish military 6.65 MM/55 MM packs a good punch if you are not paying attention.

P1000493.jpg

P1000494.jpg

was looking at picking up the swis straight bolt, but the ammo is in a "caliber" all its own and hard to find...

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

With Factory loads the 7mm MAG definately hits you harder, has a flatter trajectory and more kinetic energy, I have shooting pads on both mine but I can shoot my 30-06 30 rounds before it starts to hurt where the 7mm MAG I can shoot 20 to 25 unless they are my handloads where maybe 15 rounds before I lose my man card! I like my 30-30 for riding in on horseback, not as fickle, and a dead shooter on iron sights it just doesn't have the reach the 7mm MAG or 30-06 does. Realistically I think they are very close shooters and I love them both I don't think there is a distinct advantage either way.

Maybe I need to just man up!!:D:D

Yep I have a 30-30 as well. was just looking for another caliber to add. it was coming down to 7mm or .270 or .308. probably won't make the decision until next year.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

While this guy may not be in the same caliber as the big boys (PUN)
This Swedish military 6.65 MM/55 MM packs a good punch if you are not paying attention.

P1000493.jpg

P1000494.jpg

picked up a russian mosin nagant a couple weeks ago. it is a blast to shoot and yeah it has a little bump to it as well. 7.62 x 54 bullets.

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

where did you pick up the mosin, how much, and what model? saw one at big 5, a 9130 that was a refinished sniper. the scope holes were filled and welded and had a normal stock on it...

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Yep I have a 30-30 as well. was just looking for another caliber to add. it was coming down to 7mm or .270 or .308. probably won't make the decision until next year.

My next gun will be a 22-250, something I can shoot at distance all day and not need to take an advil afterwards!

myxpress90

Recruit

Just wanted to throw this out there, shooting a 12 gauge with 3" or 3.5" turkey loads with an extra full choke tube will also rock you.
I shoot a .243 Savage bolt action for deer and have had success out to 350yds with limited recoil. I bought a Weatherby .257 Magnum a couple years ago but haven't killed a deer with it yet. The recoil is a little greater then the .243 but not real bad. The ballistics is what sold me on the .257.

JRJ

Commander

For game such as deer and elk, I prefer the knockdown power of at least a .270, and often use a 7Mag where distance is involved. Mine have BOSS, so recoil isn't a problem.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

where did you pick up the mosin, how much, and what model? saw one at big 5, a 9130 that was a refinished sniper. the scope holes were filled and welded and had a normal stock on it...

got it at a local gunshow for $89. couldn't walk away from it at that price. it's just the old model 91, like 5 feet long plus a bayonet. it's a blast to shoot though.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

My next gun will be a 22-250, something I can shoot at distance all day and not need to take an advil afterwards!

when I want to sit out all day and plink around I still take out the old Marlin bolt action .22. box of 500 shells makes for fun times all day.

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

DCP_1680A.jpg

Sako Forrester in .22-250 with a 4-12 Leopold scope

HANGEYE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a SAKO TRG-41. It's a real thumper but you want to make the first round count because follow-ups aren't all that much fun. One round on target to verify accuracy in the fall (hopefully) and one round to fill my tag during the season. If I'm going to hoof it through the countryside I carry a Remington .270. Even the little .270 will get to me after a prolonged session of barrel warming. 12 Ga. with slugs? 3 rounds is MORE then enough for me.

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

got it at a local gunshow for $89. couldn't walk away from it at that price. it's just the old model 91, like 5 feet long plus a bayonet. it's a blast to shoot though.
crap, be careful the mosin bug doesnt bite you... next youll be bringing home one of the carbine versions, talk about a lil bump... youll just about cook anything closer than 50 yards with the muzzleblast fron the carbine versions

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

ahhh, the old .22's, fun to plink with, almost comical after shooting the bigger centerfires... lil pop then you gear the lead hit the target