Anyone Connecting A Handheld GPS To Their DSC Radio?

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer
I usually see mention of others connecting a complex chart plotter to the DSC radio, but I don't recall seeing anyone doing this to a handheld GPS. I have the Garmin eTrex Venture and it works great for my purposes. My GPS manual says that it "Supports the input and output of standard NMEA 0183 version 3.0 data". I should be able to connect this handheld GPS to the radio with the correct data cable. Finding the data cable may be tricky. For what I do on the water a simple handheld is good enough, but I would like to connect it to my new VHF radio. So does anyone use a handheld GPS with their DSC radio?

Blue Crabber

Ensign
Re: Anyone Connecting A Handheld GPS To Their DSC Radio?

I will be soon. I have an older Garmin Etrex Vista. (Black and White screen). Just got the fixed mount radio today. As soon as i find the cable i will be attaching it.

Next year i will probably upgrade to a simple chartplotter buy for now the handheld works perfectly fine.

I don't think you will have any problems finding that cable. I know i can find them for mine and i think it is almost 8 years old.

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

Blue Crabber - If you don't mind, please post back where you find the cable. I also plan to start searching for the cable and I will post if I find one.

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

Just found the cable at amazon.com. There are several out there, but the one with the bare wires at one end is $17.88.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Augaski - Thanks for the tip on the cable. Don't know what your plans are but I am going to by a cable that powers the gps and has the communications wires built in. I want to be able to run the handheld unit from the boats batteries instead of worrying about the AA batteries dieing on me.

Good luck with the install. Hope to get mine done next week. I'll let you know how it turns out.

scuba4me

Petty Officer 3rd Class

AguaSki would you mind providing a link or a part number for the cable you found? I have a Garmin OregonC that has a USB/NMEA interface and I need to connect it to my VHF.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Keep in mind that Rescue 21 (CG DSC monitoring) has only been implemented on the East Coast, the Gulf Coast, and the Northwest Coast. The Southern Pacific Coast isn't to become active until 2010 and the SW inlands areas (I.E Arizona lakes) are not even on the schedule at this time.

Doesn?t mean your call will not be picked up by someone locally, just don?t expect the Coast Guard to send the Cavalry. ;)

http://www.uscg.mil/acquisition/rescue21/pdf/acceptanceschedule.pdf