Anybody own rental property?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Where did you buy your paint?

I hate those Wagner sprayers. I have a commercial airless sprayer but it takes so long to clean after I use it that I prefer just to roll.

Last edited:

jkust

Rear Admiral
Where did you buy your paint?

I hate those Wagner sprayers. I have a commercial airless sprayer but it takes so long to clean after I use it that I prefer just to roll.

My wife got it at Menards I believe. The Wagner I have I must have bought in about 1998 or so and maybe has been used 4 times. The big issue with it is that the paint canister is so small, you get about 2 to 3 minutes of painting and then you have to fill it up again aside from having to hold it above your head for hours and it is old school heavy materials. I suppose I need the tube attachment that sucks it directly from the can. The other thing is that is massively oversprays and so tarping everything off from the top edge of the wall where it meets the ceiling all the way around the room and everything in the room was a gigantic pain as well. My masking tape ended up being junky and would not hold the thin polly plastic sheets up for long.
The clean up of the sprayer as small as it is compared to your commercial one is painful I agree. It was definitely 'work'.

64osby

Admiral
Cover the floor, doors and windows, spray the walls and trim, roll the ceiling. Done.

jkust

Rear Admiral
That's why I just roll paint now. Too much pain with masking.

I've tried rolling in the past at other houses only to have the popcorn come right off and was forced to spray. I think that might be why I bought the wagner way back when in the first place. Don't know if this particular ceiling would have done that but the kitchen was so bad and since it is the only room I ended up only being able to do one spray coat since the tarps refused to stay up, I may try rolling the kitchen for the second quote.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You can easily take a compression sprayer ($10 dollar little spray from WalyMart) and a little water and spray the ceiling and wait about five minutes and take a wide bladed putty type knife and scrap that popcorn ceiling off so easily. And then just roll on some quality paint and looks new and fresh. Popcorn ceilings are old news around where I live now. Seem they are not being installed in any new homes anymore... I even removed them in my house so easily and like the results a ton better. But it is a personal choice... JMHO!

jkust

Rear Admiral
You can easily take a compression sprayer ($10 dollar little spray from WalyMart) and a little water and spray the ceiling and wait about five minutes and take a wide bladed putty type knife and scrap that popcorn ceiling off so easily. And then just roll on some quality paint and looks new and fresh. Popcorn ceilings are old news around where I live now. Seem they are not being installed in any new homes anymore... I even removed them in my house so easily and like the results a ton better. But it is a personal choice... JMHO!

Oh for sure....popcorn ceiling have mostly went away in the new constructions albeit you pay for the knockdown ceilings in lieu of the popcorn. For a while there when the bottom fell out of the housing market but new homes were still going up in my area but mortgages were harder to come by, the popcorn was starting to make a return. This rental is 28 years old and not too concerned with it now that it's painted.

On a side note, I just got a letter from the local taxing authority wanting to know why I paid so little for the property as compared to the supposed tax value. The intent is for the taxing authority not to have to appropriately lower the tax value but instead label the sale as some sort of non-arms length transaction to justify a higher tax bill. There was no box to check for 'good negotiation skills' or 'Cash talks and BS walks'. Ha ha.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Well done on the negotiation. Come up with some bs, i mean accurate reason yours is"less comparable"to get the lower tax bill

jkust

Rear Admiral
Well done on the negotiation. Come up with some bs, i mean accurate reason yours is"less comparable"to get the lower tax bill

The letter from the taxing authority is really only theatre...they have zero intent to lower the taxes. I've delt with this taxing authortiy (it is one person) back when I bought my lake home when I formally objected to the property taxes. Again, it was a cash sale and happened to be an estate as well. I negotiated successfully with all of the heirs to a lower price right as they were sick of dealing with deadbeat buyers who couldn't get financing and cash made it happen. Negotiating with 5 heirs who see a large payday become smaller while selling their family lake house according to the will because their mother suddenly passed away too young is substantially more difficult than dealing with one person in a standard sale transaction. That discussion with the tax authority was one of the most eyeopening experiences of backwards logic accompanied by a god complex I've ever come across. Basically up is down and wrong is right and they can define as they go. Ultimately the discussions ended with the taxing authority denying all defined logic and comparables and explaining to me that I should feel lucky that I pay what I pay and that my taxes will now be increasing the next year. I put billion dollar deals together in my job that are easier than attempting to work with these folks as insane as that sounds.