Anybody ever run with bent prop shaft splines

chum1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not a very good day on the lake today, at full power either hit something, the prop threw a blade or both. These prop shafts seem kind of soft (maybe the weakest link in the system) The new brass coupler bent the splines without shearing them off. I plan on bending the prop shaft straight (there was a pretty good thread on this) and installing another prop. Has anybody ever ran around with bent splines.

My poor 850 shook like a raggady ann in an out of balance washing machine but fired right back up and limped my nephew and me back to the dock, where moments before got a comment on how nice and new the prop looked ....Son of a B.......ch, B.O.A.T: break out another thousand!!

001.JPG

emckelvy

Commander
Re: Anybody ever run with bent prop shaft splines

Dude, that prop shaft is DONE! You had to have struck something with extreme force to snap a prop blade like that and twist those splines like a candy cane!!!!

I wouldn't even attempt to straighten something like that. Doubt you could ever get the splines untwisted to where they'd accept a prop.

Where you'd try to straighten a propshaft is when it's hit something and has a bit of runout (wobbling off center). Not when the shaft has been bent like a barber pole. Even if you could straighten the shaft enough to use, it's been stressed to the max and very likely would break, then you'd lose another expensive prop in the drink!

I'd search for another lower unit or perhaps a good used propshaft, there should be plenty of Merc lower unit parts on eBay. And check your local www.craigslist.org for dead parts motors. I picked up a real nice 2.3:1 lower unit for a later-model Inline for $75 off the local Craigslist a few months ago.

BTW if you do plan on repairing your lower unit, it'd be a good idea to carefully inspect the pinion gear and forward gear for damage once you've pulled the guts out of the gearcase.

HTH & G'luck..........ed

j_martin

Admiral

And the driveshaft.:D

Craig-

Petty Officer 1st Class

Shaft needs to be replaced. You will tear up more stuff if you try to use, if the limp back hasn't already.

chum1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks you guys, if i can get this thing straight i'm going to use it, the splines will just have a permanent crook in it. Most of the force when its going through the water is on the housing or bearing/ thrust washer surface anyway. If it starts making metal it will show up in the gear oil.....maybe if i hit something full power in reverse it will be straight:confused::D

Craig-

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks you guys, if i can get this thing straight i'm going to use it, the splines will just have a permanent crook in it. Most of the force when its going through the water is on the housing or bearing/ thrust washer surface anyway. If it starts making metal it will show up in the gear oil.....maybe if i hit something full power in reverse it will be straight:confused::D

Just hammer a new prop on the twisted splines? Good luck.

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer

If that shaft is not straight you will be causing more problems. Seals bearings and such dont handle the wobble very well and you will be looking at catstrophic failure when your in the worst possible position like in the middle of the lake with no way back.

Craig-

Petty Officer 1st Class

If that shaft is not straight you will be causing more problems. Seals bearings and such dont handle the wobble very well and you will be looking at catstrophic failure when your in the worst possible position like in the middle of the lake with no way back.

Agree, change the shaft or you will be buying even more parts.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Dude ..Dont sh*t a good motor ,pm me your address and I'll send ya a frigging good shaft

chum1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok-ok, peace be still you guys:rolleyes:

Fastbullet:cool: made me an offer i cant refuse, i will get some pics of it installed

j_martin

Admiral

Dang, I hit a rock and put a hole in my boat. I'll just duct tape it over and keep going.

Maybe somebody will give me a new boat.:D

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

Dude, that prop shaft is DONE! You had to have struck something with extreme force to snap a prop blade like that and twist those splines like a candy cane!!!!

I wouldn't even attempt to straighten something like that. Doubt you could ever get the splines untwisted to where they'd accept a prop.

Where you'd try to straighten a propshaft is when it's hit something and has a bit of runout (wobbling off center). Not when the shaft has been bent like a barber pole. Even if you could straighten the shaft enough to use, it's been stressed to the max and very likely would break, then you'd lose another expensive prop in the drink!

I'd search for another lower unit or perhaps a good used propshaft, there should be plenty of Merc lower unit parts on eBay. And check your local www.craigslist.org for dead parts motors. I picked up a real nice 2.3:1 lower unit for a later-model Inline for $75 off the local Craigslist a few months ago.

BTW if you do plan on repairing your lower unit, it'd be a good idea to carefully inspect the pinion gear and forward gear for damage once you've pulled the guts out of the gearcase.

HTH & G'luck..........ed

I hit something out in the bay once and I had to limp back to shore. My lower unit was trashed. The boat shop wanted to charge me $2500 to have it repaired. But I remembered that I had State Farm insurance on the boat an they paid all but $50.00.

chum1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got the prop shaft in today and very economical thanks to Fastbullet from Tennessee.

here is the easiest way that i found to change it, just pull it with everything installed and the oil drained out, much much easier the second go around from about 4 months ago

001.JPG

yep it matches the old one except it looks a lot straighter and not used very much no seal grooves worn in

006.JPG

here is a shot of the old and new shifting pin, the pin I bought off of ebay (the farthest one ) looks like the tip is starting to already wear? could be a bogus part made in china somewhere? They both measured the same with a caliper 1.72", put the old original one back in.

012.JPG

greased up the splines for prop install, note lock ring has groove worn in from evinrude prop with a spun hub that came with the engine when i bought it.

014.JPG

all back together with another quicksilver 13.25 x 17p prop off of ebay for $67.00 shipped, had to replace the plastic hub with new because the old one turned and jammed in the old prop and wasnt coming out easy and probably ruined ($21.00 from marina), just pumped most of the old lower end oil back in, it looked good and with 0 water in it.

015.JPG

Total cost in parts was about $105.00 for this episode, not bad especially when a new shaft cost around $250.00:)

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had a 1979 140hp do that. I found out when I swaped the mid tower and lower unit for an 85 with power trim. I don't know how long it had been like that. Had that lower unit on the boat from 96 - 05.

chum1

Petty Officer 1st Class

this shaft would probably be usable but it was about 1/4 inch off center, i tried to make it straight with a 4 ft cheater but 'nooooo freeking way!!' it was going to straighten like that, the housing would probably snap if i kept going.

When I first got my boat, the prop shaft was only "slightly bent" according to the PO. Well I took it out for an hour. Massive vibes and after about 45 min I started hearing a metal grinding noise. The vibrations traveled up and destroyed the flexplate on my flywheel. Lesson learned - if it is bent replace it. I know this comes late in the post but I just wanted to share my misfortune with you.

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm just wondering why you put the old gear oil back in when its the cheapest part of the repair?

chum1

Petty Officer 1st Class

The cheapest part of the repair was the new fat oring that i replaced so that makes up for the clean 4 month old oil.