any tips on adding a flat floor into my old aluminum?

psinatra

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm sure that this has been covered here, but I haven't found it yet.

I'd love to add a flat floor onto my aluminum but can't for the life of me figure out a quick-ish trick to make a template for the plywood.

any tips or links to a great help site?

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: any tips on adding a flat floor into my old aluminum?

I would recomend getting the biggest pieces of cardboard you can get your hands on and making your templates with it . Try Homie Desperte and Lowes and see if they can save you some big pieces from tubs or appliances . The other option would be to try local HVAC companies . I get some huge boxes on new condensor units that are pretty heavy cardboard every time I put a new unit in . I tend to toss it now as I have a good sized pile of them up in the attick for future use :D.

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I'm sure that this has been covered here, but I haven't found it yet.

I'd love to add a flat floor onto my aluminum but can't for the life of me figure out a quick-ish trick to make a template for the plywood.

any tips or links to a great help site?

Heres a great site for all your restoration questions

www.iboats.com

;)

Rickairmedic

Commander

Gotta watch that Kev guy he can be quite the Wiseguy at times :D. He is right though you are at the best place on the web to bring back an old Tinny and make it new again :D.

Rick

psinatra

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would recomend getting the biggest pieces of cardboard you can get your hands on and making your templates with it . Try Homie Desperte and Lowes and see if they can save you some big pieces from tubs or appliances . The other option would be to try local HVAC companies . I get some huge boxes on new condensor units that are pretty heavy cardboard every time I put a new unit in . I tend to toss it now as I have a good sized pile of them up in the attick for future use :D.

Rick

Thanks a lot. Any tips on what I should do about the joists? I've never ripped up a floor before.

like I say, a "how to" website would be really helpful so I wouldn't have to keep bothering you guys.

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL Thats what we are here for is to help each other out :D. Do you currently have a floor in the boat ? I would be carefull pulling out the old deck if theres already one there . I ran a skillsaw down the center of my deck so I could pull it out in pieces I could use to make templates for the new deck. Some pictures of what your working with might help us better help you with what you are wanting to do .

Rick

psinatra

Petty Officer 3rd Class

LOL Thats what we are here for is to help each other out :D. Do you currently have a floor in the boat ? I would be carefull pulling out the old deck if theres already one there . I ran a skillsaw down the center of my deck so I could pull it out in pieces I could use to make templates for the new deck. Some pictures of what your working with might help us better help you with what you are wanting to do .

Rick

No. It really is your basic old 15' aluminum boat. Two bench seats and that's about it. I always had a 4 hp johnson on it but recently bought a 2001 15 horse merc 4-stroke. (so far, I'm SOLD on 4 stroke)

So I figger, it's time for a project......

Rickairmedic

Commander

I like the fact it is easy to remove in an aluminum Jon that makes it easier to spray it out from time to time :D.

Rick