Any Solex tuning advice?

Handegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just finished getting my AQ120B put back together, I rebuilt the head, replaced all the seals in the cooling system, and flushed it. We haven't had it in the water yet. (it has

Anyway, it has a single Solex F44 PHN carb on it. I've cleaned the carb out fairly well, and verified that the jets aren't clogged.

Right now, it's a little difficult to start. Once I get it going (via playing with the throttle) it usually takes off, then we can back it down slowly, and it'll idle. Playing with the throttle a little more can bring the RPMs up or down, but I can also kill it. I have a feeling it isn't going to run well under load.

I only see two screws to adjust, one is the idle (via throttle cable adjustment) and the other I assume is a idle mixture screw, but I don't know what to do with it.

So can anyone point me in the right direction to getting this thing running like a dream?

My birthday is next weekend, my goal was to go waterskii with my friends for my birthday...

captmello

Captain
Re: Any Solex tuning advice?

I guess after all that work, adjustments need to be checked/made.

Are you confident in the valve adjustment?

Are your tune up parts new? Good Gas?

Timing and dwell are set? New plugs gapped.

May want to do a compression test just for piece of mind.

Good Luck!!

Handegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess after all that work, adjustments need to be checked/made.
Considering there are only 2 adjustments I can find on the carb itself, I would tend to think it should be some of the stuff you listed as well. The carb should be setup the same way it was when it was parked, I would think... but nonetheless, I appear to be rich...

Are you confident in the valve adjustment?

Valve adjustment appears to be within tolerance, which makes me happy because out of everything I've ever been paid to do, shimming valves is my least favorite ;)

Are your tune up parts new? Good Gas?
Hehe... Uhm, everything expect the spark plug wires are brand new. The plug wires were made in 1983 ;) But the conundrum is, I have been out of work for 6 months, and my girlfriend won't let me spend money on the boat unless I have it running. The head gasket a friend bought, but I have to try my best to do this for free. Once she goes out and has a blast on the boat, she'll let me spend a little. The wires do ohm check as OK though.

Right now we're running off temporary gas tank, the boats built in tank is full of 5 year old gas. The gas we're using is clean and fresh.

Timing and dwell are set? New plugs gapped.
First thing I did when we fired it up "don't let it die, I'll get my timing light" I will recheck dwell, but I think it was right when I first got the boat.

May want to do a compression test just for piece of mind.
Oh, I've done that one ;) I never work on a motor for myself unless I've done that. And all the work I've done was to bring back lost compression ;) I don't remember the number, but only one cylinder wasn't within 1-2 PSI of the others, and it was less than 10psi off.

Good Luck!!

Thanks! I know I'll need it. I remember my dad spending about 1/2 hour working on this boat for every hour we spent skiing!

captmello

Captain

Is that the side draft Carb? According to the Seloc manual, the prelim adjustment for the air/fuel mixture screw is 4 1/2 turns out from bottom. FYI

You can get a set of points at napa for 10 bucks. Might hold off on the $80 dist. cap however:eek:

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Anyway, it has a single Solex F44 PHN carb on it. I've cleaned the carb out fairly well, and verified that the jets aren't clogged.

Does this constitute a rebuild with a new carburetor kit?
Choke working, adjusted correctly?

Handegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is that the side draft Carb? According to the Seloc manual, the prelim adjustment for the air/fuel mixture screw is 4 1/2 turns out from bottom. FYI

You can get a set of points at napa for 10 bucks. Might hold off on the $80 dist. cap however:eek:

Yeah its a side draft. I'm currently at 3.25 turns out, I'll back it out more, thanks. I wish I had a manual for it ;)

My cap is new, and the points were new when the boat was parked. I cleaned the contacts when I started tearing into it, but they're almost new looking...

Handegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does this constitute a rebuild with a new carburetor kit?

No, I merely filled the bowl with chem-tool, and worked the accelerator pump a few times to make sure it's jet was good and clean, and took the other jets out for a visual inspection, other than letting the chem-tool soak in for awhile, I haven't actually opened it because I don't have a rebuild and can't afford one...

Handegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I see nothing on the carb that (in my opinion) could be a choke. All it has is throttle return spring, a adjustment screw for throttle, a mixture screw, the accelerator pump linkage, and the bowl.

I don't see any mounting points for a choke that may have been removed in the past either. Looks like you're just supposed to fire it right up!

Edit: I just checked some microfiche I found online, and there is no mention of a choke in the fuel system, including a nice blowup of the carb...

Oh, and I just finished re-checking the valve clearance, 7/8 are spot on, one is a little tight, but close enough that I'm not going to pin my running problems on it. I will try and find the right shim this weekend however...

captmello

Captain

pm me your email, and I'll send you the oem service manual.

Handegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now thats just cruel... hundered of pages of paper... killed in one swift email [*grin*]

Thanks, I'll PM you now...

captmello

Captain

let me know if you don't get all three files. Those were courtesy of Don S, thanks again Don.