any rough estimates for the year of this merc???

psinatra

Petty Officer 3rd Class
the owner doesn't know what year it is. He claims it's in fine shape and it actually comes with a spare for parts.

I'm interested in finding out whether or not the horsepower was measured from the prop, or the head.

If it's measured from the prop, it may be a bit too much for my boat.

5752dk1_20.jpeg

thanks

wh0pper

Cadet
Re: any rough estimates for the year of this merc???

Its hard to say with out the serial number. If you could post that then it would easier to find. Could be 70's or 80's

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

1972 or 73 crankshaft rated.

psinatra

Petty Officer 3rd Class

1972 or 73 crankshaft rated.

do you mean that's when they started rating horsepower at the bottom end?

looking at the design, I think it's an early 80's There's nothing like it on "oldmercs" website.

(the guy who is selling it has it at his cottage and doesn't have the serial number handy)

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi,

I stand by my year guess. The newest it could be is a 1975. The HP is still rated at the crankshaft.
The key is the chromed face plate with the rectangle blue decal on the side.
All the motors in the 70's were rated at the crankshaft.
Mrec did not make a 65 HP after 1976 and the decal had 3 different color blue stripes the turn down at the rear of the decal in 76.

psinatra

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi,

I stand by my year guess. The newest it could be is a 1975. The HP is still rated at the crankshaft.
The key is the chromed face plate with the rectangle blue decal on the side.
All the motors in the 70's were rated at the crankshaft.
Mrec did not make a 65 HP after 1976 and the decal had 3 different color blue stripes the turn down at the rear of the decal in 76.

thanks a lot. The only thing that made me think it was from the 80's was that it had a relatively square housing. Every merc I know from the 70's was oval from the top down.

But I'll trust you on this.

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi,
The 4.5, 20, 40, 80, 90, 115, L6 150 were oval the 4(Gnat),7.5, 9.8 65, later 150V6, and 175 HP were squared. I sold hundreds of them. 1972 was the 1st year of the squared cowling if I remember right. They still used chrome on them a transition from the old chrome laden engines to the no chrome of the later yrs.