Any recommendation for a good floating key chain?

Nandy

Commander
Re: Any recommendation for a good floating key chain?

you name it (Murphy's Law) situations will happen negating the best features of the best floating key chain. My approach is to use the little spongy, hot doggie thing that is given out at boat shows and get 2 or 3 other keys made---one for your wallet, another wire tied securely on the boat, and another on the exterior of your tow vehicle with the entry key that we all intend to get and never do.:D

AMEN!

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

On my old boat the key system is simple enough that I could crawl under the dash and use the piece of wire I always carry with the boat to hot wire the key and get the boat started.

Bondo

Staff member

On my old boat the key system is simple enough that I could crawl under the dash and use the piece of wire I always carry with the boat to hot wire the key and get the boat started.

'ell,....... I can start Most boats at the engine hatch with a piece of Baling Wire,+ a Screwdriver...........
And,.......
I gotta Admit,.........
I don't think the key has been Out of the switch since I bought my boat,......
About 8 years,+ over 700hrs. ago..........

ziggy

Admiral

I don't think the key has been Out of the switch since I bought my boat,......
About 8 years,+ over 700hrs. ago..........
just a little food for thought.....

in general, locks don't like to not be used. they have dissimilar metals in them just like boats. they corrode just sitting there too.

locks like to be used, and they like lub. a key that's never removed may not get removed after 8 years....the tumblers may corrode in place and trap the key....... then ya just have yer on, off, start switch. the head of the key is then just a rotater knob, not a lock cylinder..... if ya do remove the key after 8 years. the cyl. may be non serviceable after removal if there is corrosion thats takin place as the tumblers won't move proper......... point being, ya might leave it there another 8 years since it will continue to be a rotater knob and do the work you require of it....... that being said. i don't remove my key much either....once a season maybe.....to lub it up and keep it operational. so if i do want to use it as a lock, it still is......

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer

As burroak pointed out, Murphy's Law is always fully operative.

About 25 years ago, my neice (7 or 8 years old at the time) was in a snit, reached into the anchored family boat, pulled the key out, and threw it out in the lake:mad:. Never did find that key. *Then* the family started using a key float.

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

As burroak pointed out, Murphy's Law is always fully operative.

About 25 years ago, my neice (7 or 8 years old at the time) was in a snit, reached into the anchored family boat, pulled the key out, and threw it out in the lake:mad:. Never did find that key. *Then* the family started using a key float.

You should have reached over grabbed the niece threw here into the lake and told her to find the key. ;)

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer

You should have reached over grabbed the niece threw here into the lake and told her to find the key. ;)

Much as I wanted to, her folks were right there and watched her do it.

Her mom (my sister-in-law) is the one that told my wife she would have to decide between her husband (me) or her sister. She has a huge resentment that I exist.

Needless to say, this is also an excellent example of why it never works for more than one person (even sisters in one family) to own a boat jointly.

Nandy

Commander

I would leave the child alone and send the parents walk the plank... But sometimes is better to forgive and forget....

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer

My sister described it best. "(x) is getting the child they deserve.":D