any body got a receipe for FRIED turkey,

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer
couple years back i bought a turkey fryer set up, but never got around to useing it. <br /> i'm all ears. how to do it best.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: any body got a receipe for FRIED turkey,

Peanut oil only.<br /> Here's some that are pretty good.<br />They added a couple since I last checked, but the "southern deep-fried" method is closest to what we have used in the past, with yummy results.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

12 footer, that was great, it covered all of my questions. <br /> my biggest hesitation is safety on lowering the bird into the oil , i was thinking of riging a tripod and pully hoist. <br />thanks

mikecjn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try to dry the turkey off as much as possible prior to lowering it into the oil to prevent the water causing the oil to splash up on you and just lower it slowly. I have been doing them for the last four years and I have had no problems.<br /> Also make sure your oil level is not too high causing the hot oil to overflow when the bird is lowered. The easiest way to set your oil level up is to first set the bird in the pot and add water until you cover it. Remove the bird and see where the level is now. Dump the water and fill pot with oil to that level and it will be all set.

KaGee

Admiral

For saftey's sake.... fry it in your drive or patio... NOT the porch or garage.<br /><br />Make sure the bird is totally thawed and dry. From what I've heard, fresh birds are the best.<br /><br />Bone' Petite!

Tyme2fish

Commander

First rule, put the hard liquor up till the turkey is cooked.<br />Rule 2. Don't fry the turkey while you're nekid.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Watch out for neighbors dog's. They love that stuff.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As previously stated, dry off water from bird and lower it slowly. I used a couple of bent coat hangers to get a little more distance from the oil. A little easier if you have two people lowering the bird. <br /><br />Good thermometer a must to keep oil temp in correct range. It will drop a fair amount when you first put in the bird. You want to get it back up to recommended range pretty quickly or else the bird will start to absorb oil, but also need to monitor it to make sure it doesn't go above range and increase fire hazard.<br /><br />One thing I wish I would have tried last time was to make some deep fried dough before I did the turkey. I'm guessing that the batter wouldn't effect the taste of the turkey too much, but not the other way around.

ndemge

Commander

make sure you have a 10lb bag of taters close by to fry and eat while your watch'n the bird.<br /><br />I've tried injections, always good, and our usual is a cajun seasoning rub the night before. No matter how ya do it, it's going to be good.<br /><br />Our method is a basket that the turkey sits in, and 2 hooks that pick it up and lower it in. While wearing welding gloves just in case.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Tyme2fish:<br /> First rule, put the hard liquor up till the turkey is cooked.<br />Rule 2. Don't fry the turkey while you're nekid.
...you're takin' all the fun out of it.. :confused: <br /><br />what better to sip on while frying wild turkey then ... err ... Wild Turkey. :D

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

that's just to enhance the moment .. <br /><br />or drown it out .. <br /><br />I don't know what my case is .. :p :D

KaGee

Admiral

I see a couple of you have like to get "fried" while doing your turkey. Is that to enhance the taste buds or numb them?.....snick! :p