Any advice would help.

Bbenjamin21

Recruit
Hello everyone, I'm in the process that everyone apart of this forum as been through. Thinking about owning a boat. I know little to none about boats other than being on them. I currently own just a 14' aluminum john boat with a 15hp outboard to fish out of. But my fianc? and I have been interested in getting an bow rider for some time now. I want to be able to fish out of it and pull tubers/wake boarders. I want to know what others who own boats and possibly do what I want to do suggest to own. My price range is 7-8k.

Now I will say what I have seen and read or been told. And please feel free to say if wrong or right. I've been told by a couple of people I want an I/O, my question is why? Is it the easiest to deal with? Or cheapest to fix? Other than my fianc? wanting the back platform to be able to jump off I don't know why people always say that's what I want. I've also been told I want atleast a 18' to pull tubers/wake boarders. I'm thinking about purchasing sometime this winter so I'm not jumping on the first I see. But in my area (upstate ny) I have seen on craigslist a couple of tahoes in the 01-03 range, with the 3.0 liter merc 18' fish and skii. So I've researched a little on them. From what I gather there are mixed feeling on them. Great motor, the best merc has made. 135hp isn't much for pulling wake boarders out of the water and it doesn't make much of a wave to they are great boats for the price and that's plenty of hp to pull. Great motor on gas also.

Like the title says. Anything will help. Thanks for the input.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Any advice would help.

I've seen many a new boat owner put their new to them boat in the water the first time. Success rate of outboard motors actually running on these boats is maybe 1 in 5. They'll either start but won't run past just beyond idle, or they'll die the second they're put in gear, or just plain won't even attempt to fire. I have nothing against outboards, I have one on our Party Cruiser. It's just what I see--

I/O powered boats always seem to fare much better-- right up until the overheating starts because of bad impellers. Very common on just-bought used boats.

To me, getting an I/O to run right is much less hassle than getting an outboard to run right. Mostly due to I/O's using "car" engines that normal people are familiar with. Outboards are different animals, even to many a seasoned gearhead, at least until you've tore into one or two...

That's why people tell you "you want an I/O". :)

Now-- as for the 3.0-- great engine, and PLENTY of power in a 17'er, and even some 18'ers. Fastest planing boat I ever owned was our 2007 Bayliner 175. But then, it's one LIGHT boat. And hard to ride in choppy water. Great starter boat, but you will be moving up in short order. (which is the "boating way", it's called 2-foot-itis)

If you get anything bigger than a 17, and personally I'd recommend a 19'er if possible, you want at least a V6 (assuming an I/O)...

All from me, I have stop and get my work finished up! Good luck!

Bbenjamin21

Recruit

Thanks for the info. After talking to a coulple more boat owners, I think we are shooting for a 20' with atleast a v6 200+ hp. Another question I would have for some of the bow rider owners is what are some things people do for kids napping? I understand a cuddy cabin is then something to think about but we really want a bow rider. For the most part we will be on a lake up a camp where we have a house on so we could dock but for the times we may be on a lake and the child wants to take a nap, what do some of you guys do?

agallant80

Commander

Cuddy cabins turn in to storage and are too hot to nap in during the summer.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

In my 20 years of boating I haven't needed to take my outboard(s) in for anything, ever. I've owned over 6 of them and had very good luck with them all. To me they are "maintenance free" ways to go, for the type of boat you are looking for. Plugs and fresh gas are all my outboards ever need, and there is little winterizing.
I/O's are a much different issue, oil changes, bellows, out drives, plug points no thanks, way too much stuff does and will eventually go wrong, especially with a new boater. Stick with outboards to keep it very simple. When outboards do break, I agree they can be expensive, but my experience is that they are mostly bullet proof, they don't break often.

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class

As for naps, Just stick them on a seat, under the Bimini top in the shade and they will sleep.

southkogs

Staff member

I/O vs. Outboard is gonna' boil down to a lot of personal opinion. I personally think it's a little easier to learn maneuvering with outboards, but you've already run one of those. People learn on I/O's all the time. Some folks will suggest one is easier maintenance than the other ... I've owned both and don't know if there is a definite win there either. Bottom line: choose the boat in the best condition that fits what you wanna' do most.

For watersports - determine how serious you are about 'em, and which ones. A boat that's good for skiing behind is a completely different boat than you'd wake board behind. Tubes are kinda' the exception in terms of you can pull 'em behind anything, the bigger the wake it drops the harder you bounce around. Size of boat won't matter too much. We used to ski behind a 14' with a 35HP, a 15' with a 70HP and a friends MasterCraft. The 14' was a little weak, but the others were both fine for us. My folks now have a 19' with a Merc 140 and I find it actually a little harder to ski behind, but it pulls a tube just fine.

Size really helps you when you think of how many people you typically will have on board. You and the "Admiral" may do just fine on a 16', but bring along a couple of friends and suddenly the 19' is gonna' be more appealing. Go to your local dealer and get on board a few to get a feel for size.

When it comes to lookin', condition is the name of the game. Take a 16' outboard boat in great shape over an 18' I/O in iffy shape, if you see what I mean.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

I've owned both I/Os and OBs. I liked the I/O in fresh water boats. With salt water-- no way. I also believe there is less maintenance with an OB.

Bbenjamin21

Recruit

Nice, awesome info. We will be heading to a dealer to step on a few to help make a decision. I will say as for watersports. Tubing will be the 80% of the time choice. Ill say wakeboarding is the other 20%. I am pretty big into fishing so being able to fish is a must which is why I want to go with the bow rider. But let me ask why are they called fish and skii? What makes them a "fishing" boat? Is their live wells under any seats or are they just cooler?

The more I look online the tahoe q7s in the 2001-2003 range with the 5.0 merc are looking appealing and in my price range. But that's with saying I haven't gotten a chance to get on one.

southkogs

Staff member

...I am pretty big into fishing so being able to fish is a must which is why I want to go with the bow rider. But let me ask why are they called fish and skii?
Most things that are called "fish & ski" are lousy at both :D Truly, a boat for fishing is far more utility and a boat for skiing. A true ski boat isn't as comfortable as a boat for cruising, and sure doesn't fit fishing ... and on, and on, and on ...

What kind of water are you gonna' be on? If you've got big enough water (meaning you don't need a real shallow draft to get around to fish where you wanna'), look at a dual console boat (20' with outboard). It's comfortable enough, but fishing friendly. They're deeper more stout hulls, which is good for big water and it'll throw a nice chunky wake for your wakeboarding. (Tubing IMHO is just a matter of being dragged by "something" on the water.)