antenna problem

shaffer

Cadet
I have a pontoon with a metal 8ft. top.I have a Dual stereo am fm radio installed on the pontoon.local stations come in great but distance stations are week an have a lot of static on them.When I place my hand on the antenna the stations become stronger and clearer.I have tried rubber duck and now have a car antenna hook up.What do I need to do to get these distance stations better?

Splat

Lieutenant
Re: antenna problem

Well it's very clear from your description that you need to hold the antennea to get clear reception.:D

BIll

dchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

FM radio is line of site and most lakes are in low areas, go figure. You need more height. The other concideration is you might be out of practical range for the farther stations. Does you car pick up these same stations from near by?

shaffer

Cadet

Thank you for your answer Yes my truck radio picks the distance stations better than my boat stereo.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Normally on a F/G boat a piece of regular wire plugged into the antenna spot and tossed into the bilge or stapled under the dash gets better radio recption than my car. Perhaps the metal of the toon is shielding it?

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Is the antenna mounted to metal? Antennas function better with a "ground plane"

Mount the antenna on top of the metal roof and I bet the reception improves tenfold.