Another winterizing question (drain plugs)

chriscraft254

Commander
Re: Another winterizing question (drain plugs)

Hi CC,

I don't think I can be of much help here, but I do have a question...is the plug hole threaded or is smooth and the retainer that you can't find possibly have a nut with it that the plug threads into?

I ask, because if the hole is threaded to accept the plug, wouldn't it be possible that the retainer had been eliminated by the manufacturer, in favor of threading right into the drive?

In other words, what actually holds the plug in place?

Sorry man, just trying to make sense of this...

Nobody seems to know why this plug hole is even there. had to be a mold or manufacturing thing. There are three threaded holes that you remove on the cobra outdrive for drainage. This is not one of them, it use to have a cobra sticker over it so it was hidden.

It is not threaded in the housing. It had a retainer clip that went on the back side of it. When I unscrewed the screw that retainer clip went somewhere. Have not been able to locate it and don't think I ever will. If its down inside those water jackets, there really is no way to get it out. i have tried banging on it, shaking, turning unside down etc.

You can tell by the three posts I have going, I am frustrated. Now just am going to reinstall the drive and jb weld that plug in.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: Another winterizing question (NOW WHAT?)

OK, now I completely understand the situation and your frustration...

Well since it was threaded to something inside the housing...before you close everything up, and while you have access to the inside of the housing...would it be at all possible to put a nut on the inside of the plug, and then JB weld it in place???

Kind of like this...

omcplug.png

chriscraft254

Commander

Gt, the size of the screw is very weird, finding a nut that it would screw into I think would be very difficult. The hole has a edge that the screw head sits into so it is flush with the outside of the outdrive. So I think just bedding it into some jb underwater weld will get the job done. I only have 4 days left to get this thing ready to splash if I am going to make the thunder party next weekend.

I got the drive remounted. Cylinders back on, now just need to weld the plug on. Hopefully it will do the trick. Just wondering if that little clip will end up in the water pump and then into the cooling part of the motor. Someone suggested that might happen. May have to pull the pump and see if I can force that clip out of there. I am assuming the pump is on the top backside of the outdrive.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Got it, good luck with the whole shabang...hopefully that stupid little clip/retainer/thingy will stay lost and out of the way...

Best of luck on the upcoming fun in the wet stuff...

chriscraft254

Commander

Got it, good luck with the whole shabang...hopefully that stupid little clip/retainer/thingy will stay lost and out of the way...

Best of luck on the upcoming fun in the wet stuff...

Hey gt, the retainer clip is out. Or should I say the retainer plate is out. Read my rebuild thread and you will see what happened. lmao:facepalm: