Another New Prop Thread

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 2007 Larson 208 LXi with a 5.0 MPI & Alpha 1. My current prop is a 14.25 X 21P 3 Blade Aluminum. It has been damaged and I am wanting to replace it with a 3 or 4 blade SS prop. The old one worked well, It hit about 5,000 WOT with no problems. What size should I be looking for in a 3 or 4 blade SS? Also, what are some good brands?

Thanks!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Another New Prop Thread

And what performance objective are you attempting to achieve? The only thing I see in your question that has anything related to performance is that the engine "hits 5000 rpm no problem". That is a problem since it should run about 4800 at WOT with an average load and the only way to get the rpms back into the recommended rpm band is to go up in pitch one number or throttle back. Doing so will likely decrease hole shot performance a tad but might increase top end a tad. You said you want to replace it with a three or four blade SS. That choice relates to performance issues but again for which you gave us no criteria. Four blade will help hole shot but may cost you some top end. Stainless steel is tough but hit something and you have expensive repairs. Aluminum doesn't perform as well but will break before damaging lower unit parts. Which brands are good you asked! They are all good for their intended purpose. Some just a little better than others. Props of the same specification (diameter, pitch, and material) from one manufacturer to another rarely perform identically. Some perform better on one hull than another. Maybe someone else knows what you are after and they run the same exact boat and can tell you what works best for them, but without some additional details on what you want to achieve it's tough to offer recommendations. If all you want is a stainless direct replacement I'd go with a SS 14-1/4 21 if available in the brand you select. The SS will pull off a few rpm (good) while maintaining the same speed due to increased efficiency and maybe even pick up a MPH or 2. You are close on setup so any change of prop characteristics at this point is strictly trial and error.

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Another New Prop Thread

I am not looking for any performance change, just a replacement for the prop. Your last 2 sentences pretty much answered my question, along with the WOT info. Thanks for the help.