Another MFG Owner

Rocky4052

Seaman
Hi Guys-------I just became the owner of a 1971 MFG Niagra. {am also new to boating} It came with a 1966 Mercury 500 50hp. I am presently working on this boat. Needs the usual stuff---Wiring work, seats,carpet windshield is cracked, needs good cleaning and polish. Motor runs, but needs impeller. {no pee hole action} Boat had been sitting for 5 years. I've got the wiring straightened out- was able to work with existing wires. The harness had enough play so I was able to cut back to the good wires. Hey-- 350 bucks for the boat, motor, and trailer---couldn't go wrong! Motor supposedly has less than 250 hours on it. Once I fixed the wiring, it started right up!
Can you tell by the serial no. if it is actually a 71? Dan

Marc III

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Another MFG Owner

Where's the serial # you mentioned? My '73 Gypsy has a plate by the controls, but no factory issued HIN. Fiberglassics has some MFG brochure pics on their website.

Rocky4052

Seaman

The serial # is on the top right side of the transom {outside}

Marc III

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does yours look stamped or carved? Prior to 74 or 75 many manufacturers didn't put HINs on the outside of the transom. My 73 Baja has nothing there and my 73 MFG has a carved number that was added two owners back issued by the state of Virginia. It starts with "VA" and "73" or "1973" is in there somewhere too.

Rocky4052

Seaman

The number is stamped into the alum. strip that runs across top of transom.
Number is: MSZ0018F393. Dan