Another dumb tilt/trim pump question. 2-line instead of 4-line pump?

adamjr

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 76 merc 850. I have come across tilt trip parts from seperate sources. A complete piston and bracket set up from one source and several pump systems from different sources. The 2 ram system is designed to run with a 4-line pump. Can a 2-line pump be used with a manifold to split off the pressure and return lines to the 2 rams? I've got a local salvage business near me that has the 2 line pumps complete for sale all day for under $100.00. I did see one listed on ebay that was set up with tees coming off of the 2 ports on the pump for that purpose.

adamjr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Another dumb tilt/trim pump question. 2-line instead of 4-line pump?

Is this question just too dumb to answer? :facepalm:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Is the 2 line pump a Merc pump?

adamjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry, I should have mentioned that. Yes it is a Mercruiser pump from an I/O. The guy I would get it from salvages a lot of boats.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The electrical and bodies are the same on these pumps the difference is the hydraulic portion. The inline trim cylinders have no 'impact" valve in them like the Mercruiser cylinders and up and down pressures are different. Its possible you could adapt it but I would worry about engine being able to raise in a impact situation and it would trim out under a load as some of these pumps had a reverse lock valve that shut off fluid return in pump... I tried to keep it simple.

adamjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the concise reply.

I will take that as meaning my original thought is a bad idea. Maybe I'll buy one of his tested working units to keep around for a spare motor and solenoids. That way if I happen to find a 4 line valve body I'll have those as spares as well.

Adam