<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

BillP

Captain
Re: Another Cut Out Splashwell For Transom Replacement

Hooty,<br />Can you post a pic of the boat too? <br />Bill

CTD

Petty Officer 1st Class

looks like it was really fractured, was it rotten too?

Hooty

Rear Admiral

BillP,<br />The foto in the thread "Composite Panels" shows the transom and splashwell before.<br /><br />CTD, <br />Unfortunately, there was no rot. The wood that's in there is real good. It's coming out in pieces about 1/8" thick and the size of your hand. <br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

CTD

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a real hard time with the few parts of my transom that were still good. I've been playing around with an electric chain saw on my stringers, it was working real good until I started hitting nails. Maybe drill holes to break it up easier. Too bad you couldn't put some kind of acid in there that would eat the wood, then just wash it out.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

I just got an electric chainsaw yesterday. Got one of those remanufactured Remingtons from Harbor. I think I'm gonna like it. I also got an air chisel. Now it'll tear up some wood.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

boatersam

Cadet

an air chisel..lucky..im just finished chiseling out all of the wood from my transom..what a pain.. but not as bad as cutting the top off my boat to get to the transom..

BillP

Captain

I use the following tools in one way or another to get all the wood out on transoms... <br /><br />1.Skill saw (set deep enough to go down to the last ply skin without hitting the hull skin) <br />2.Air tool die grinder for the hard to get places<br />3.Various chisels<br />4.High speed disk grinder with 24 or 36 grit <br />5.Mechanics prybar set (cheap ones)<br />6.Auto tire iron (when the going gets tough)<br />7.Masons hammer (used for hammer and to pry with)<br />8.Several big axx screwdrives to use when the others tools aren't long enough<br />9.A fan to blow all the stuff away from me<br />10.A cussing chair :D

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

When I removed my transom I also used a circular saw set to cut to the outer shell. I cut the transom in a 1 foot square grid and used a prybar to pop the pieces out. Took about 15 minutes if I remember rightly. It was the fastest part of the entire project. I used my handy dandy 4 inch angle grinder with metal cuttoff wheels to cut arout the perimeter of the transom where it was glassed in. I used the angle grinder mostly throughout the removal process of floor and stringers, only used one wheel. It goes through fiberglass like butter, so I had to be real careful. Shopvac and fan was handy, and I didn't have a cussing chair but I used the back yard as a ranting/raving chamber. There was still two feet of snow on the ground, so the ranting didn't last too long..... :D

BillP

Captain

The more rot the better it is when doing demo work! Something to consider if looking for a rebuild project. This last boat only had 30% rot in the transom and it was more than a days work to get the 70% good stuff out. :D

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Ok.<br />The new transom and gussets (knees) are in. The transom is 1-1/2" AB p/w and I made the gussets out of Klegecell, f/g and epoxy. They're about 1-1/4" thick and real stout. This is the last transom this boat will ever have.<br /><br />
site1086.jpg

bubbakat

Captain

blast it hooty you do some purty work :D

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Thanks Bubbakat. I appreciate the kind words. It'll look a little neater after its all sanded.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Hooty: Excellent looking glass work.<br />a) are the knees sitting on original wood?<br />b) how are the knees attached to the horizontal wood pads/bottom of boat?

G DANE

Commander

Hi Hooty <br />That looks really good. No Place to flex at all.<br /><br />Its clear you have much experience in glassfiber work.<br /><br />I´v got an idea for the holes for the motor. After drilling holes, cover hole on both sides with tape. Punch a little airhole in top on inner side. Inject poly resin with curing agent thru tape from outside till it floods out from airhole. ( cover with a clouth ) Let it cure and redrill holes next day. No water intrusion there anymore.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Thanks Boomyal,<br />and yes sir, that's the orginal wood. The first tie-in is a 4" wide strip of 1-1/2oz. mat. The second (top) tie-in is a 7" wide 1-1/2oz. with 18oz. bi-axial roving stiched too it. They're attached to the transom the same way. All epoxy resin.<br /><br />G DANE,<br />That's a super idea. I wish I'd thought of it. It'll work like a charm.<br /><br />Thanks ya'll & c/6<br />Hooty

daveswaves

Ensign

Looks great Hooty, I agree with JasonJ, a 4.5 inch angle grinder with a cutoff wheel works the best. I adjust the guard to set the depth and draw the grinder towards me, the crap goes the other way and the wheel cuts through glass like butter. :)

G DANE

Commander

Hooty<br /><br />Are there no stringers in the back of your boat ? Mine is exactly like yours, with only small woden supports on buttom. The stringers start from a fiber bulkhead,under the backseat, running foreward. The backseat, floor and sides are alle part of upper section, moulded in glass fiber. Only mine is deep V. Is this really strong enough ? I am going to add knees like yours too.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Thats lookin' real stout Hooty, it should work quite well. Good job...<br /><br />Dave, I was hard-core with my angle grinder. No guard or side handle. I had dust all over the place, it wasn't fun, but that was almost a year ago now. A distant memory....

Hooty

Rear Admiral

There are no stringers, as such, in the hull. Where the gussets tie in is the topside of the tunnel. (Attachment)<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty
site1089.jpg