another crank / no start thread

jec6

Cadet
Hi All,

First thanks in advance for any help you can give. I have been searching and reading as many threads here as i can over the last few days, but want to verify I'm going down the right path on an issue I'm having.
First, my boat: 2008 Regal 1900 w/ Volvo Penta 4.3 Gxi-G fuel injected i/o. i attached a pic of the model / serial # from the top of the engine in case it matters. The boat is on Keuka Lake, in western new york. Our primary residence is in PA, so I don't have the luxury on mesing with it in my spare time on evenings. I'm hoping to have a box of parts for our next trip up and dig into it full effort early Saturday morning.

My issue:
I was cruising very slow on Friday evening (~5mph no wake, under 2k rpm) when I started getting warning beeps. My first reaction was depth finder, so I didn't immediately check the gauges - I know my water temp was low / normal but don't recall what the oil pressure gauge said.
About 30 secs after the beeps started the engine shut down and won't restart, but will crank.
I confirmed the dead man switch was active, and get the three beeps when the key is turned to the on position. It cranks strong but won't turn over (see linked videos). I shifted to neutral and moved the throttle arm to full WOT and still no start.
- gauge view crank video. I noted in this video the oil pressure gauge doesn't move during cranking - I'm wondering if this is my issue plus the one extra warning beep towards the end of cranking.

- Engine view crank video.

I got towed back to my lift and did some early diagnostics on Sunday before we left to come home. I confirmed all fluids were at appropriate levels, battery was in good shape and no connectors were obviously loose or not attached. Based on the warning tones, my first reaction is the oil pressure sensor is bad. I am having a really hard time finding the right part # for both the one wire low oil level sensor and the 3 wire oil pressure sensor. Can anyone help a) confirm that the two sensors shown in the pictures are in fact the pressure sensor and level sensor and b) help me reference the right part #s I need for replacement?

I also pulled the connectors off the low pressure and high pressure fuel pumps and noted that even during cranking there was no voltage to either pump. I assumed this was because the oil pressure sensor was prohibiting them from kicking on (but i was an idiot and didn't confirm the fuse was OK). I checked fuel pressure at the shrader valves and I didn't get any reading on my (tire) pressure gauge. I did get a bit of fuel to leak out of the rail when I pushed the shrader valve open. I replaced the original fuel pump assembly 2 years ago with an OEM system when the original high pressure pump crapped out (probably due to the flaky inside paint issue these pumps have)

So I'd love any feedback on whether I am going down the right path with the oil pressure sensor first, or if I should be taking a different route. If it isn't the oil switch, what should I look at next?

Finally some general questions: I have an OBD2 scanner for my cars. Do the newer marine engines use the same or similar protocol (google says no)? Is it worth getting a code reader for a boat (google says no here too)? I added a pic of the ECM and fuse box incase that was of any use to the thread.

Again, thanks for any help you can give me.

EDIT: FYI, if any admins are reading this - the volvo penta link in the adults only reference section currently takes you to a smart tab thread, not to a volvo parts list or other reference.

Attachments

• 20220717_104616.jpg
    20220717_104616.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • 20220717_113006.jpg
    20220717_113006.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 20220717_113111.jpg
    20220717_113111.jpg
  • 20220717_104435.jpg
    20220717_104435.jpg
  • 20220717_104439.jpg
    20220717_104439.jpg
    705.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

jec6

Cadet
I could really use a little help. I went to the volvopentastore and dug around trying to confirm I got the right sensors to replace the oil pressure sensor and low oil sensor. Unfortunately, the part diagram only calls out "sensors" not what type of sensors they are.

Can anyone in the know point out what sensors do what in the attached pic (or atleast where the oil pressure sensor is)? I think its 19, but want to be sure.

For reference for others:
15 is camshaft position sensor
17 is knock sensors
21 is temperature sensor

Thanks

Edit, did some more research:
5 is the MAP sensor
7 is a crankshaft sensor
10 is idle air control
13 is throttle position sensor
16 is coolant temperature switch
19 is the oil pressure sensor
21 is another temp sensor

Attachments

• penta.png
    penta.png
    45.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
OBD scanner won't work, need a TechMate Pro or Diacom software from rinda.com

I also pulled the connectors off the low pressure and high pressure fuel pumps and noted that even during cranking there was no voltage to either pump. I assumed this was because the oil pressure sensor was prohibiting them from kicking on

Oil pressure switch has nothing to do with the fuel pumps turning on/off on a MPI motor, only works with carb motors.

Do check the fuses for the main power relay and fuel pump.

I noticed when you first started cranking the Tach came up but then went back down, it should stay up. When you go next time bring along a distributor cap and rotor. The flat dizzy caps are noted for failing and look great

Most likely unless its a fuse your going to need to have the motor scanned for codes

jec6

Cadet
for anyone wondering, it turned out to be the fuel pump relay. I replaced the relay and immediately heard the fuel pump prime. Started up and ran fine. Fingers crossed that was all it was.