Anchoring in shallow water with two side posts

mia9516

Petty Officer 3rd Class
At the lake this weekend I noticed a couple of boats anchored in about 3' of water with two side posts. Both boats were direct drives (Wakesetter and Malibu). One of owners walked out to meet the boat as his wife backed in to position. He then took a fence post driver and drove two posts (one on each side of the boat) and attached the boat to the midship cleats. Even in rough wake the boat stayed in it's same location while I struggled with mine all damn weekend. Would anyone know if that's a type of anchoring "system" or is it more DIY. The slip covers that he put over the posts said "Wakesetter" on them but I haven't been able to find anything on their site. Thanks all! Cheers!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
not sure about that anchor method. However, you could anchor your boat bow our and put a second anchor on the shore to hold the stern. That should hold her in one place, without the fear of the boat banging into those posts.

harringtondav

Commander
Sounds like a lot of trouble to anchor a boat while rafting/sun bathing. Double anchors per above will hold you. Your boat will still bounce either way. Bass boaters have a solution at several hundred/thousand $$. Power Poles. Pricey, but the upside is you press a switch and you're set.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Didn't Batman and Robin use something like that?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I believe they are called sand poles or sand anchors

they come in the pound in variety and the screw in variety.