Anchor light questions...

BamaAlum97

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am not a newbie...and not really a boating veteran...my questions are...

How high up should my anchor light be? I have one with a post of approximately 6 feet. My issue is that it sways considerably while underway. So much so, that I am afraid it is going to either break or pull itself out of the hole. Is this normal? Is there a way to secure it?

I have a shorter light that I can use...is it appropriate to use the shorter light? I do have a bimini top...but it is rarely/never folded out at night.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Anchor light questions...

The light has to be visible 360 degrees. So it has to be higher than the highest point on the boat.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

How high up should my anchor light be? I have one with a post of approximately 6 feet. My issue is that it sways considerably while underway. So much so, that I am afraid it is going to either break or pull itself out of the hole. Is this normal? Is there a way to secure it?

Sways?

Are you using it as a flag mast? I tried flying a flag on mine...just once!

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

the light does not need to be up and running all the time during the day leave it unplugged and stored .

BamaAlum97

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the light does not need to be up and running all the time during the day leave it unplugged and stored .

yeah...I got that part down...I am talking strictly in the evenings and night time hours.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Does the hole have a cap that swivels over it when the pole is not in use? If so, the cap is normally turned 180 degrees so that the short side locks the pole into place.

Big Keepers

Petty Officer 1st Class

The light needs to be high enough so that it clears the highest point on the boat. Usually at least one foot above that point. I believe there is an ABYC spec for the light but I can't find it. A six foot pole sounds a bit high but with no pics of your boat it is hard to say.

BamaAlum97

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will try and get a picture of it and post it so you can see what I am talking about...it might be the weekend before I can get it though...

The cap that covers the hole for the light pole does not rotate 180 degrees...but flips up instead...

In reality...this might not be a problem at all...it just seems a little unstable to me...

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

I will try and get a picture of it and post it so you can see what I am talking about...it might be the weekend before I can get it though...

The cap that covers the hole for the light pole does not rotate 180 degrees...but flips up instead...

In reality...this might not be a problem at all...it just seems a little unstable to me...

If this is the light that came with your boat, then it will be the correct legal height (my OEM light is 60"). Don't shorten it....

But...you could simply wrap some electrical tape around the shaft, and make it more of a 'snug' fit. Or, look on this site for a replacement light, with one of these locking collars:

30ksw0p.jpg