Amita 4 blade prop ?

Dick Bacon

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 17 foot Tracker deep v. It has a 13.25 x 17 aluminum prop. With heavy load of five or six people it takes forever to get on plane. I have decided to switch to a four blade Amita aluminum for a better holeshot. My question is if I want to stay with the 17 pitch or drop to the next available size which is a 15 pitch ? I understand the overrevving possibility.

bruce40

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Amita 4 blade prop ?

I would go with the 15. My Stratos 1760DV came with a 13.25x19 3 blade alum. I swapped it out with a 13.5x17 4blade Amita. Holeshot is 10 times better, boat jumps up on plane. I gained about 200 rpm at wot and lost about 4mph. Overall the amita is perfect for my setup. I also like the fact that i can run on plane at slower speeds, when the weather is rough.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

What is the present max rpm,And the max rated rpm?
What motor are you running?Do you trim in for hole shot?

Dick Bacon

Seaman Apprentice

About 5300 at wot right about what the book says. It has a 1988 Merc 70hp. It has a hydrofoil and I have tried trimming it .

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

A 17 footer with a 70 and 5 or 6 people probably would be challenged.
Before a prop change be sure the throttle opens all the way at the carb.
Your foil/antivent plate should be visable on plane.Bottom clean and smooth.
Motor in good tune,Prop good.
The Solas Amita has had good reports and a change to a 15 should vastly improve your hole shot.Just watch your rpm it could increase up to "about" 300.

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class

My Amita 4 blade made a huge difference in handling and steering most notably in reverse backing away from my slip. With the 3 blade I had very little control. My 4 blade made it just like backing out a car.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

The 4 blade made a huge difference for me as well. Mine is an 18' deep V with a 130 HP IO. Hole shot is better and just as others have said, gets on plane earlier and gentler. No sharp bow drop as it gets on plane, just quietly settles in. Originally had a 17 pitch 3 blade and stayed with 17p with the 4 blade.