Am I good to tow?

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer
I just bought a 69 Larson 18' boat with a 135 horse Johnson without power tilt. The motor has tilt lock where I can pull it all the way up and it will hold in that almost 90 degree position. It also has a prop where if you pull the motor up about half way you can flip the pop down and set the motor down on it. The prop rod is located in the base of the mount between the lift struts and looks secure but I was told it is not adequate for towing. Is that "kick stand" good enough or should I be getting a transom saver?

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Am I good to tow?

Im dont know if thats a "kick stand" or not. I would have to guess, No.
As long as it can lock in the farthest up position you should be good to tow.
Get a transom saver, or make one. They are better than sliced bread.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks bifflefan. I've been doing more reading and have pretty much decided on a transom saver. Seems like cheep insurance at any rate.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Remember, transom savers (deflopperizers) work ONLY if the boat is secured to the trailer using transom straps. If the boat can move around on the trailer, the transom saver can cause damage.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks. That part is not a problem. I'm anal about securing the boat. One thing being a trucker has taught me is to never loose a load so I always go overboard on straps.