Always something...

Supersportster

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I have a new to me 2005 2 stroke 115hp merc.

I have always had johnson/evinrude, but I got a good deal this winter on a cc proline that I really wanted, and this motor was on it. I have many friends that swear by merc so I was happy to give it a try..

I checked the compression when i bought it, 145ish on all cylinders...not much difference, it started and ran great..

Today I was running it on muffs in the drive way, hoping to get out tomorrow for the first time, and after about 10 minutes of running I got a solid alarm going off??

I turned it off, looked around started it again, and after a few minutes, solid alarm again. I have a steady stream of water out of the teltale.... also it was idling at 1650-1800ish?

I have no idea where to start looking or what the issue may be... any help, like always from here , is greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance..

chrome dome

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Always something...

l'd worry more if it was doing it out on the actual water..with the boat moving.. rather if it is just doing it on muffs,
they're good for flushing motors

JWH0420

Seaman Apprentice

the buzzer is a over heat alarm... what needs to be figured out now is was it hot or do u have a faulty alarm sensor. sometimes if u do not have enough water pressure on the muffs even not havin the valve at source open enough can reduce flow enough they get warm and set alarms off... i would suggest taking it to a lake or river and back it in and run it on the trailer see if it gets hot if it does not i would assume you had insufficient water flow from the hose

Supersportster

Petty Officer 1st Class

You know what, I didnt think to check the water coming out... would be a smart thing to do!

I will check that in the monring!

I have a big plastic container, maybe I should fill it with water and try running it in there? If that would make a difference?

Supersportster

Petty Officer 1st Class

On this mercury engine, is the alarm supposed to test sound when you turn the key at first? Mine doesnt..

carholme

Rear Admiral

If it is a 2005 engine, it probably does not have the engine warning module, the wires from the oil switch and the temp switch both go directly forward.

What is the s/n of your engine?

Gerry

Supersportster

Petty Officer 1st Class

its a 115elpto....

Since its a straight 4 cyclinder, I am correct in assuming there is only one thermostart on it somewhere? I am thinking of checking that out , make sure its in good shape.

carholme

Rear Admiral

Your s/n should look like this:

0T982629

There should be a sticker on the side of the transom clamp and if it is not there, look for a disc like this on the powerhead. The reason I am asking for it is to send you the correct service manual and parts listing.

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/8224/391496208.jpg

There is a 120 degree thermostat and a poppet valve on the cylinder block cover.

Gerry

Supersportster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh I see it... I gave the model #

Serial # is: 1B148143

I see where the thermostat cover is ...I am going to pull it off and have a look at the t stat

carholme

Rear Admiral

Your engine is a model:

1115412DD MERCURY 2005 115

Parts Listing:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/11212.cfm

Service Manual P/N: 90-830234R04

http://1manual.com/Mercury manuals/Service Manual PDFs/TwoStroke/830234r3/cover.pdf

You must have Adobe Acrobat reader installed to use this manual. If you scroll down to the lower part of the opening page, you will see the various engine components in red. Click on the one you want and when the first page opens, click on the "Save As" icon at the top LH corner of the page and you can save it to your computer.

Gerry

Supersportster

Petty Officer 1st Class

gerry, thanks a lot for the help and the links!!

my big container idea didnt work, as its not big enough! lol

I ran it on muffs again just now, and after 7mins, solid alarm again.....i did it with the hose on full blast. I can run my 1998 115 johnson faststrike all day on the muffs with no problem...

I am going to pick up a new t-stat tomorrow as I cant seeing putting a new one in hurting anything..

any other suggestions as to what it maybe? or could it really be just not enough water from the hose?

it starts right up and has a strong stream of water from the tell tale right away...

Supersportster

Petty Officer 1st Class

oh I should also mention that I have one of those laser temperature readers...(cheapest model you can get) but it still works... the top of the engine is 220 f when the alarm went off, and the bottom was 155 f.........

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Your Idle sounds a little high,even on muffs.Should idle around 900-950 on muffs and 700-750 on water.
Mercs like a lot of water,and its obvious the top is not getting enough.Check your TSTAT cold and see if stuck opened which will cause bad pressure and little water at top.Check impeller and pump housing as a backup.Dont know the plumbing on that motor.Does tell tale hose come from Tstat direct?

Supersportster

Petty Officer 1st Class

good question! and I agree, it seems too high of an idle....

I just ran out and looked, the telltale hose comes from the very top, of the left side of the motor(looking from the rear) on the same side there is a large lever arm that has a screw on it that says idle.... should I just turn that , to turn the idle down?

Could the high idle be causing the hot alarm?

I am chanign the t stat tomrrow no matter what.

I seem to have a solid strong flow from the tell tale....shold i do the impeller too for a peice of mind?

thanks everyone for the advice....