Aluminum fuel tank replacement?

CJK440

Seaman
I'm redecking my 1996 Rinker 180 I/O. It has an aluminum tank glassed in under the deck. It has been trouble free since I bought it a couple of years back. I did have to replace the sender but did not notice anything odd inside.

But this redeck is a big job and I am wondering for piece of mind should I remove it and replace it with plastic. Is a 20 y/o aluminum tank that sees 10% ethanol in Conn pushing its luck??

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
I'd replace it with plastic if it was me. You don't want to have to go back in under the deck.

alldodge

Staff member
I would remove and inspect, if its in good condition, just reinstall. Aluminum gets eaten away IF water is trapped between the foam and the tank, and it does tank some time to do any damage.

harleyman1975

Ensign
Find a place that works on semi trailers and have them make you a copy in ALU. I bet they can do it for less than $500. (did mine for $360)

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Moeller Marine can duplicate your AL tank and coat it with coal tar epoxy for many more years of protection. The AL is also not the standard .090 they use .125 thickness and it is a certified marine fuel tank.

Finding a tank in poly that is your boats exact size could be easy but I doubt it will be. Shop for a replacement poly tank in the size you need and when/if you can't find one check into Moeller Marine custom tanks http://moellermarine.com/builders-technical-resources/custom-tank-design-2/quote-form/

Don't have Billy Bob down at the truck shop make a below deck fuel tank for your boat.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
just check for pitting.....if there is any......replace.... for one, it will get worse possibly and for two...if one pitted the next aluminum may pit........ if it is a CT boat it might see salt water use....if you can get a poly tank that will fit for under $400...id say it might be worth the peace of mind....if you need to buy a new aluminum tank...then its a no brainer to me....poly wont pit at all....

bob

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I would replace it as well since the floor is out anyway. Really is a no brainer. As far as with what that's up to you and your budget.

tpenfield

Staff member
Remove and inspect. This will also give you a chance to inspect more of the hull structure. If the tank is in good shape, you can coat it with epoxy paint, tar or barrier coat, and reinstall.

If if has corrosion, then you can go for the plastic tank.

CJK440

Seaman
When I bought it, it was in the same freshwater slip i am in now. Not sure what water it has seen prior.

Do these corrode from the inside or outside? Outside looks fine and the inside seemed OK when I swapped the sender. I can pull it but have to hack a bunch of glass to get it out.

I need a 33 long 25 wide and ? deep belly tank. Moeller doesn't seem to make one that fits.

These guys do....

http://www.oceanlinkinc.com/product/folt1709m/ Not sure if the fittings are where I need them.

alldodge

Staff member
They corrode from the outside in. Replaced mine with new aluminum tank from Florida Marine Tank in NC, my pits were quite deep. tpenfields was not so he reinstalled the tank after the epoxy coating.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Mine corroded from the inside out with pin holes all over. The bottom is where the problems will show so until you pull the tank you won't know by looking at just the top.