Aluminum DuoProps?

Kosmofreeze

Cadet
I've got a 5.7GXi with DP-SM drive with F3 stainless steel props. I understand somebody made (still makes?) an aluminum version that is intended to be a 'stand-by' prop that comes with speed restrictions. This seems to be a good idea for a spare just to get you home when you find that special rock in a far away place. Anybody have part numbers for these aluminum Duo Props?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
D series should be the aluminum version of the F series.

Kosmofreeze

Cadet
Based on that information and further internet searches I came up with these F (SS) and D (Alum) part number references -
1708815920740.png
1708815991020.png
Even found a "composite" X series that might work for a spare. Looks like the SS is the preferred (and most expensive). Never heard of the composite X series. Don't know if they are still a viable option ... anybody know?
1708816183838.png

Scott Danforth

Staff member
The J and X series are the new versions. Not better, just new variants

Scott Danforth

Staff member
The J and X series are the new versions. Not better, just new variants

Kosmofreeze

Cadet
More confusion for me - I see multiple online sellers offering an emergency/spare duo-prop for a DPS-M drive. The part number no longer seems to exist - went extinct about 15 years ago according to some old posts I found. It is clear to me that this is not your typical D-type aluminum duo-prop. @Scott Danforth - do you know what this thing is?
1708989250790.png

Kosmofreeze

Cadet
As every boat owner knows, "to remove cash from your wallet" is why we are boat owners. So, can I assume that is an endorsement for those emergency/spare duo-props?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I do not endorse anything but the D series or the F series. the new X series is a compromise, just like the J series

I personally buy older props with spun hubs and have them re-hubbed vs buying new.... mainly because there are 3 types of boaters down here. those that have hit something submerged, those that will hit something submerged, and those that lie about hitting something

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. Michigan Marine have an excellent aftermarket version of the VP ally props. Speak to them.

Donald0039

Petty Officer 1st Class
If I was getting a spare prop I would get another set of SS props. It's not trivial to change the props either.